It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Concerned

Make the Icarus website a better place! We'd love to hear anything you have to say about the website. Something broken? Need a new feature? Let us know...

Concerned

Postby Dan2013 » May 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Anyone concerned that a lot of Message Board Accounts keep getting made that have Russian/Cyrillic characters in them and may be Bots or hostile Folks?

I don't really know enough Tech to address this, but it seems strange to me. Unfortunately we do not have a dedicated Tech Person anymore like Silverelf from back in the day.

Is there anyone who could look into this? Thanks.
Dan2013

Re: Concerned

Postby Spinygrrl » May 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Yep. It concerns me. I just banned a whole bunch of spammers and deleted their spam, but... they still get in.

I wish I had the skills to really do something more permanent about it.
Spinygrrl

Postby Dan2013 » May 09, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks at least for the reply. Thanks also for fighting the spammers.
Dan2013

Postby astra » May 09, 2017 12:21 am

i don't think it's anything to worry about. and i don't think there's any way to completely prevent them from signing up: the recent ones aren't bots, i don't think - these "people" are actually registering/defeating the recaptcha/filling out various profile fields to try and sell stuffs. as far as i know, manually deleting them is the best we can do.
slide.
astra

Postby yellowrose » May 09, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks Dan for being vigilant.

Thanks Spiny and Astra for your work.
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby FLAMING ATTACK B0T » May 09, 2017 5:30 pm

astra wrote:the recent ones aren't bots, i don't think - these "people" are actually registering/defeating the recaptcha/filling out various profile fields to try and sell stuffs

Bots register and do the spamming. In the middle of this, a human sits there and fills out the CAPTCHAs for them all day. That's how it used to be done, though AIs learn to sort the new CAPTCHAs over time as well so it may be fully automated. I'm reasonably sure it'll just be spam though; annoying but not a sign of an imminent invasion. Russian groups are the chief offenders for a complex of economic and legal reasons.
https://11700.dreamwidth.org/
FLAMING ATTACK B0T

Postby red sunday » Jun 11, 2019 3:28 am

i know im probably coming into this conversation completely uninvited....but fuck it.

why are you concerned about Russians making their own boards and accounts here?

doesn't that seem a bit xenophobic? i mean, afterall….you have French boards....

so someone who speaks Russian and uses the Cyrillic alphabet cant have a board or account in Russian--yet French people can?

next time you get something in Russian, feel free to send it to me. i understand Russian, so can tell you if the postings are sincere and about radical mental health or not.

and also, i am going to school for website development, and am learning website design in wordpress this term (this site is made on wordpress) so i could check it out once i complete my term, because by then i will have the knowledge to know my way around wordpress sites.
"I'm not crazy---my reality is just different that yours." --The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.
red sunday

Postby Dan2013 » Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm

I have no problem with legit Russian Folks being here. It just seemed to me that those posts just looked like Bots or Spam. It is kind of a moot point right now as these Forums are now very quiet and dormant.

If we had stuff that looked like Bots or Spam in English or French, I would be concerned about that as well. I have never seen French Spam here in my years on these Forums, but I have seen stuff in English that looked like Bots or Spam.

Anyway, if some Russian Folks do show up, I will be glad to have you around since you speak Russian. I like Russian culture and language, from what little I know about it. In my view, all people are welcome here, wherever they are from. Just no Spam or Bots.

DN2013
Dan2013

Postby red sunday » Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

ah okay. I guess I was misreading what you were saying, dan.

I hope we get boards from every country in the world, personally....not just France..

we could definitely use some different cultural perspectives, besides the mass homogenized...primarily white-- Euro-American culture, which seems to be ruling these boards so far

i'm going to start working on my website design degree, and will let you know when I have learned enough, so if you guys possibly need website maintenance---or even advertising/marketing (as a collective non-profit)....I can help you with that.
"I'm not crazy---my reality is just different that yours." --The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.
red sunday

Postby Dan2013 » Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks, Red Sunday. Good to see you around here. I hope that your studies and web design stuff goes well. I am not too techy myself, but it would be good to have someone around who does that sort of thing...
Dan2013

Postby FLAMING ATTACK B0T » Jun 12, 2019 4:25 pm

red sunday wrote:not just France..

* cough * Technically it's "Icarus Project en Français" not "en France". French is spoken in Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Algeria, Vietnam and dozens of other places and is taught as a second language the world over.
https://11700.dreamwidth.org/
FLAMING ATTACK B0T

Postby red sunday » Jun 14, 2019 4:03 am

FLAMING ATTACK B0T wrote:
red sunday wrote:not just France..

* cough * Technically it's "Icarus Project en Français" not "en France". French is spoken in Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Algeria, Vietnam and dozens of other places and is taught as a second language the world over.

same could be said for Russian, and Russian is far more widely spoken than French. FACT.

and I don't speak French, hence why I wouldn't know whether it was in france or French. but that's besides the point. the point is is that there are far more Russian speakers in this world than those that speak French.

we should've had a Russian board a long time ago...
red sunday

Return to Website Bug Reports / Technical Problems / Feedback