It is currently Jul 19, 2019 1:44 am

How to feel rested with meds

Experiences, opinions, info and questions on medication and other treatments falling within the dominant western medical treatment paradigm.

How to feel rested with meds

Postby mariej » Jul 04, 2019 3:15 pm

I am taking Clozaril. I have to take it. It is the most sedating psych drug out there. Even so, they say that eventually you are not to be so sedated in the morning after you get used to the med. I don't think I tend to adjust to meds. I am tired no matter how long I take them. I go to bed at 9 and I still can't get up at 8; I feel like I have extreme exhaustion when I wake up.

My psychiatrist says it's due to a build up in my system. I am guessing a natural solution to that would be to get supplements to support my liver. He also suggested to go to bed early and wake up early to help my circadian rhythm. I know there is also a hypothesis that medications can deplete your body of nutrients. I can try all of the above but I am still concerned that none of them will work. Anyone know what to do to feel rested in the morning if on meds, especially if you are sensitive to side effects that don't go away? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
mariej

Re: How to feel rested with meds

Postby astra » Jul 05, 2019 12:19 pm

welcome to the forum.

disclaimer: not a 'medical professional'..

..not sure what your doc is on about - 'build up', if that's what it is, won't be addressed by adapting sleep cycles - to me that seems kind of silly to suggest. i would want to look at tapering off in very small increments in order to seek an equilibrium between dosage/half-life/metabolism that will allow you to function/feel as you need/desire. so i have to assume your doc is against considering a lower dosage despite the unwanted effects..
beyond lowering dosage (if that's not an option), i'm only aware of the normal stuffs: nutritious food, exercise if you can manage it, routine (but also occasionally breaking routine). anything that boosts metabolism might be helpful in your situation.. certain diets or supplements might aid your body in dealing with the meds.
slide.
astra

Re: How to feel rested with meds

Postby Dan2013 » Jul 05, 2019 1:20 pm

I take Clozaril also. It is heavily sedating. My solution is to take the med at night before bed instead of in the morning. It knocks me out at night and I feel less medicated in the morning. Consult your Doctor over this and see what they say. Timing the meds helped me, though.
Dan2013

Return to Psychiatric Medication and Mainstream Treatments