It is currently Jul 19, 2019 2:12 am

Un-college!

How do we live with the monocropped corporate realities of "normal" work, school, money, family, walmart, leg-shaving, in-laws, expectations? As DIY radicals, activists, anarchists, punks, and everything else, should we fit in or make the world fit us? What does mental diversity mean to you? What kind of world is possible?

Un-college!

Postby maamyyrä » Jul 31, 2016 8:17 am

since classism has become an issue on here lately, the topic of un-schoolin and un-college are vital to address.

as college isn't the safe bet for a high paying job anymore, people have become more critical of their decisions. especially if student loan dept is involved.

but even without financial problems, college is definitely not the right path for everone. How many people could still be alive if they hadn't been pressured into small-minded (and rather outdated) ideas of middle class "idyll"?

"Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college student"

"Suicide is a leading cause of death among college and university students in the United States."

"The emotional health (sic!) of college freshmen has declined to the lowest in 25 years."

"One in 10 college students has made a plan for suicide."

college is not only a place of extreme competition and pressure, it is also the place you most likely end up being raped as a woman.

readings

http://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files ... tsInUS.pdf
http://www.collegedegreesearch.net/student-suicides/

documentary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Tower_(2014_film)

alternatives to college

more practical (and cheaper) community college programs while working part time

UnCollege" movement supported by the Thiel Fellowship. The Uncollege program encourages young people to skip college and "hack" their education."

"The Education Hackerhouse is a communal living space where college drop-outs work on education-related startups." (aimed at very entrepreneur-thinking people)

i don't think anybody denies the branding potential of a college degree. but is it worth suicide to achieve that branding?
what is the effect of pressure and of no-way-out narratives? how many people get thrown under the bus for the sake of middle class biographical narratives? (how useful is it to put even more pressure on someone who may already be self-harming or suicidal?) how worthwhile is it to continue college (or anything) when it makes you thoroughly unhappy? and what do you actually get for your money?

many people have posted about self-directed learning and unschooling. self-directed learning is a skill you need whether or not you choose college.

what other alternatives are there? let's not forget that suicide happens when people feel there is no way out.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Re: Un-college!

Postby zenmoon » Aug 02, 2016 5:43 am

----
Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 12, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 05, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 05, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm

zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 05, 2016 2:25 am

Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 05, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 05, 2016 2:37 am

Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 05, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 05, 2016 2:49 am

Last edited by zenmoon on Aug 05, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenmoon

Postby zenmoon » Aug 05, 2016 3:35 am

zenmoon

Postby Sarah_Harper » Aug 25, 2016 6:33 am

Actually, I would love to go back to college.

I live in a college town right now, and it sucks. It feels like everything is geared towards students, and if you're not a student then screw you. Walking around on a college campus is very hard for me, because I see all these postings everywhere for fun social things that I can't join.

I've thought of going back to college but I'm afraid of the costs and every time I try to look up info about it I feel totally overwhelmed because it's a complicated bureaucratic process, and very alienated and pissed off because all the advice is geared towards parents of high school students which I am not.

I don't have the willpower right now for self-directed learning. Even when I wasn't suicidal it was extremely hard. I need the pressure of other people who are depending on my work, deadlines that mean something, support from people who can teach me, not just me plus a book.

If you're living in a communal living space and "hacking" your education in concert with your roommates/friends, that's totally viable. Other forms of un-college, like online learning, in my opinion are not.

I mean, I'm not surprised that women are most likely to get raped while in college, because honestly, where else do women even meet as many people? It is a lot harder to build a social life as a working adult. Campuses are just chock full of opportunities to make new friends in a way that no adult social environment is. That is the real reason I want to go back to college.
Sarah_Harper

Postby red sunday » Jul 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Um, I disagree.

online learning is just as important as in school learning, and may actually work better for some students who are good at self motivation. (and have distraction issues, such as myself)

take me for example. Ive gotten all A's so far in all my assignments for college this term...and today was my first B.

whereas in in school learning, I couldn't even pass a Drawing class (thanks to my horrible ADHD)

but im also taking WEBSITE DESIGN...HENCE WHY ITS ONLINE. regardless. its still just as legit as any typical University degree.
"I'm not crazy---my reality is just different that yours." --The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.
red sunday

Return to Making Maps, Swimming Upstream and Building Islands of Community