It is currently Nov 18, 2018 3:41 am

Classes.

Share your story and/or reflections on college mental health: experiences, services, trends, concerns, myths, and more.

Classes.

Postby Raining Frog » Sep 23, 2011 2:54 am

The initially unsympathetic-seeming Teacher turns out to be a buddy. The initially sympathetic seeming TA turns out to be woefully unavailable. Another professor appears to have eyes for me. Class with the unavailable TA has the most sniping and rude peer-reviewers that I was placed in a group with. A 15 sentence criticism of my paper shown nothing but insults. I need to talk to said unavailable TA about this. I think I should hear more feedback from him as a grader than the other students. I was well prepared for the idea that the University would be more classwork per credit load, and tougher. I was afraid of the area and the amount of people, being turned loose, but I actually really like it. There is so much here at this campus that you can participate in. The buildings are beautiful. Smoking is allowed in the vacinity. I have trouble making friends with people in classes. There are too many sorority girls. There are too many people who have had their "social networkings" well established before classes. But school first. There is almost too much homework. There's rarely time for rest, and I'm not even taking a full credit load. I am exceedingly busy. I am turning into a big flake. I love the experience and great opportunities for learning here, but my mental health is dubious and my stress-level sky-high. I am probably taking a full-credit load next semester. It helps me take my mind off of post-traumatic stress and depression, if I can handle it without going crazy. What is a good balance...Hmm. And how do you deal with current issues best without enlisting help from campus mental-health "professionals"? It's an unrelenting and overwhelming mania that is often strangely pleasant...
Raining Frog

Re: Classes.

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Oct 01, 2011 2:33 am

Hi, thanks for posting this. I'm in college too, although from the way you talk about your experience i have a feeling you go to a huge school- mine's pretty little. I am hooked up with my school's disability services who have been incredibly helpful for me. I've been granted a ton of accommodations with my thorough documentation and am actually meeting with one of our disability services people weekly to make to do lists and update her on how i'm handling things. if you have ever been in treatment, trying to get registered as disabled in your school may be a huge help in taking some stress off things like if you get granted extended time on tests and assignments - those two will be the biggest help for me i think. i'm sure at a bigger school the disability services people may be good but not nearly as involved as my school is. even at a school the same size they may not be as good. but in terms of trying to avoid the counseling center- are you getting outside treatment? i am extremely wary of talking to any of the schools counselors because i do not want to get kicked out of the dorms if i were having thoughts about hurting myself. (or having the police called!) but i do have private therapist and psychiatrist near the campus.
ObjectsInMirrors

Re: Classes.

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 02, 2011 11:30 pm

That's good to know that the disability resource center has been helpful- mine I think could be pretty helpful- but I'm not that trusting of them...I actually ended up dropping that one difficult class, which is fine by me- my school is definitely quite large, lectures usually will have 150-200 classmates-and the work is considerably tougher than that of the tech college. I'm getting used to it, maybe I'll end up doing 9 creds next semester. My therapist (I just changed) is great- I see her about 2 times a month. And my psychiatrist's fairly near campus, but she's well booked (I'm actually in the process of trying to get off my meds, but I'll probably stay with the psychiatrist anyway-I could do a lot worse).
Raining Frog

Return to Mad Campuses