It is currently Jul 19, 2019 2:30 am

Finding an Icarus Friendly Pdoc/Health Provider near you!

a place for info and and ideas and brainstorming as this community resource develops. this can be a temporary subforum until the network is up and running

Would you be interested in a TIP directory listing recommended health providers near you?

yes!
98%
no!
2%
other (please explain below...pretty please?!)
No votes

Total votes : 41

Finding an Icarus Friendly Pdoc/Health Provider near you!

Postby sandpiper » Sep 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Back in July I noticed on the Icarus main site page that you can click on RESOURCES and under resources you can click on a link for Recommended Health Provider Guidelines and Directory.

Here it says that if you know a health care practitioner -- mainstream, alternative, or otherwise -- who shares the Icarus perspective on experiences labeled mental illness you can add him/her/hir/hem to the list of Recommended Providers.

I was so excited to find this resource. I didn't have a health provider name to submit to the directory, but I was looking for one in my city or near me!

Anyway, it turns out that this directory is still a work in progress.

So the idea is that us Icarus folks recommend the names of alternative or mainstream health providers with whom we have had a positive personal experience and who share the Icarus vision and approach... (ie: refraining from imposing diagnostic labels, accepting alternatives to medication, collaborating with us as equal partners, etc)

Check out the link below for a more detailed list of the guidelines for recommending a practitioner:

http://theicarusproject.net/resources/recommended-health-provider-guidelines-directory

Then we compile a directory that would be available on TIP for all of us to use to find Icarus friendly practitioners in our town, city, state, region, province... ( I am volunteering to do the collecting, compiling, and creating although feel free to let me know if you want to help!)

The list could include doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists, counselors, naturopaths, homeopaths, osteopaths, acupuncturists, chinese herbalists, nutritionists, and other healers or health care providers...

Is this something you all in Icarus land would find useful or valuable? a directory of local providers in your community?

At this point I am just interesting in finding out if there is enough interest for creating something like this... so just post a yes or no.... vote in the poll or post here with comments or whatever.

Of course if you know someone (or are someone) who should be on the provider list give me a shout out too!

thanks,

sandpiper : )
sandpiper

Postby scatter » Sep 19, 2007 10:33 pm

you go, sandpiper! the winds are on your side.
"Bipolar I with Psychotic Features", but somehow that just doesn't seem to capture the essence of the whole dilemma.
http://theicarusproject.net/blog/scatter
scatter

Postby sandpiper » Sep 20, 2007 7:10 pm

er....thanks! and my little winged sandals are ready to go...
sandpiper

Postby jacks_ashley » Sep 25, 2007 7:37 pm

very very very much so (would be interested. am. always was. yes)
jacks_ashley

Help me now!

Postby grinder » Oct 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Dude. doctor. anyone? help please
someone...anyone. madness, madness...madness is at bay...
a resounding yes
grinder

Postby Nightbloom » Apr 09, 2008 1:11 pm

yes really!
<p>The next message you need is always right where you are.</p>
<p>&ndash;Ram Dass</p>
Nightbloom

Postby Sarsha » Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am

I was curious if this project is still underway? I think its a great idea!
Sarsha

Postby Pheepho » Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am

Very, very good idea. Very topical for me as I am just on my way to my GP for hopefully a referral. Also helpful would be tips around language, phrases to use when approaching mainstream professionals. If I say precisely what I want, I feel I might not get what I want.

So basically, good phrases that wont get doctors' backs up, for requesting a doctor less pushy, less prescriby...well, I am scrolling up and I see the word collaborative, so I will try that out. On my way now, so I'm just going to have to do my best.
Pheepho

Postby SD » Oct 19, 2010 2:45 pm

YES! This is a great idea.
SD

Postby comepickmeup » Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

this needs to happen, for sure
comepickmeup

Return to Provider Network Planning