It is currently Jul 19, 2019 1:50 am

Rock Dove Collective and Similar Projects

a place for info and and ideas and brainstorming as this community resource develops. this can be a temporary subforum until the network is up and running

Rock Dove Collective and Similar Projects

Postby scatter » Sep 20, 2007 8:41 pm

something i've been wondering this whole time with the provider network idea is what we can learn from other similar projects. who else is out there working on the alternative support networks? the rock doves are one example -- they're our nyc friends and i think they've only been at it about a year but i'm sure it's worth comparing notes.
another thing: i think about the fucked up red tape nightmare that is my medicaid/'family health plus' insurance coverage and wonder how it got to be so fucked up. because i assume that at some point, or on some levels, there were people like us trying to figure out how to build support networks for large groups of people, and then it just got all messed up.
my mom was a hospital administrator for a good chunk of my childhood and she's the kind of person who believes really strongly in the public good and putting energy into creating large public infrastructure.
it's always felt so much more natural for me to think about creating smaller scale networks of friends and allies; networks that can be linked; but that maintain some levels of autonomy. wasn't someone just talking about autonomous interdependence? but of course if we're involving licensed doctors that can have their licenses taken away and nurses that can write scripts...it's a whole other level. anyway, i'm so excited people are thinking about this stuff - i just want to fan the flames!

Subject: [rockdoveproject] Rock Dove Collective Fall Update
Date: September 19, 2007 11:59:35 AM EDT
To: rockdoveproject@lists.riseup.net

Hello providers, seekers, the rock dove flock, friends, comrades and allies,

It's been awhile since we've last been in touch and we hope that you
are feeling well, fresh and preparing for a fruitful fall.

We're busy doves and want to tell you all about it. A few important
things we've been working on include:

* Recruiting more progressive providers
This includes intensive researching, networking, flyering and more. So
far, we have over a dozen public providers listed in our directory of
services and we thank you all so much for participating in this
project. We can't wait for the community to meet you. If you know of
anyone that would be perfect for the rock dove project, please let us
know!

* Getting the website in shape
We've been reconstructing the website to make it as clear and
accessible to all, and we're happy to report that our public directory
is almost up online! We are working on an extensive free resources
list to also put on the site, so keep us posted of your favorite
places.

* Monthly skill shares
We had our first in August on Reiki and thanks to all who
participated. We're working on a fertility awareness workshop this
month and a self-defense workshop for October. We'll keep you posted
on where's and when's. If you're interested in doing a skill share in
the future, please let us know!

* Partners: Our Sister project, the Signals Collective, is teaching their
Consensus, Facilitation, & Liberation workshop at the Brecht Forum on
October 20-21, 2007. This two day workshop gives folks a comprehensive
introduction to consensus process for decision-making and group work, and
offers concrete tools and creative solutions for facilitating a process
that is liberatory. The workshop is 10am-5pm both days, $15-$35 Sliding
Scale. Visit http://www.brechtforum.org or call (212) 242-4201 for more
information.

"Bipolar I with Psychotic Features", but somehow that just doesn't seem to capture the essence of the whole dilemma.
http://theicarusproject.net/blog/scatter
scatter

Re: Rock Dove Collective and Similar Projects

Postby sandpiper » Sep 26, 2007 11:16 pm

scatter wrote:something i've been wondering this whole time with the provider network idea is what we can learn from other similar projects. who else is out there working on the alternative support networks? the rock doves are one example -- they're our nyc friends and i think they've only been at it about a year but i'm sure it's worth comparing notes.

I just emailed the Doves explaining what we are trying to do and asking them if they would be willing to compare notes or....??? So we'll see!

sandpiper

p.s.

Hey all, are any of you looking for a cool new doctor or other health care provider to work with? Would you be interested in finding someone who shares the Icarus vision? If you like the idea of having an Icarus Health Provider Directory listing worthy doctors in your area, let us know! Vote in the poll here:

http://theicarusproject.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10022
sandpiper

Postby sandpiper » Oct 02, 2007 7:29 pm

No word from the rock doves yet.

Today I checked out a site called Safe Harbor's International Guide to the World of Alternative Mental Health. Here's the link:

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/

The mission of Safe Harbor, which is a nonprofit organization, is to "assist and promote non-harmful alternative non-psychiatric methods and practices" and to "provide education and choice (over standard psychiatric treatment) to the public in regards to alternative mental health." Along these lines, SH provides a health provider directory of practitioners who use minimal or no psychiatric drugs and who focus on medical and nutritional treatment to maintain mental health.

I checked out the listings for my city and there are only two practitioners listed and they treat ADD/ADHD using nutritional medicine and orthomolecular therapy, but I think they just treat kids and adolescents. When I checked out my state listings I found an M.D. who uses homeopathy, nutrition, and orthomolecular therapy who is an hour or so away. This doctor works with a wider range of of "conditions" including depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, BP, etc... Other cities have a bunch more listings. Some towns, cities, states, provinces, countries have sparser listings than others. But I think this directory is still a work in progess too.

It seems that the way SH finds health care practitioners is they have them fill out an online questionnaire to determine if they meet SH criteria to be listed on the site. If the practioner fits the criteria, SH lists them, if not they don't.

I sure would like to go visit the Rock Dove Collective and check out what they are doing!

sandpiper

p.s. If you haven't had a chance to vote in this poll, check it out:

http://theicarusproject.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10022

My pdocs!

sandpiper

Choice in Mental Health Care Campaign

Postby sandpiper » Oct 03, 2007 1:26 am

I just found this on the mindfreedom website.

Apparently MF is in the process of setting up a directory of alternative mental health services which they intend to list on their website. This is a part of their Choice in Mental Health Care Campaign and was discussed/developed at their July 2007 conference in Connecticut this year. I think I am going to write to them to get more information.

http://www.mindfreedom.org/campaign/choice

"Too often, traditional mental health services keep clients stuck in the system, keeping people from having choices about their lives. The emphasis on medical solutions, especially psychiatric drugs, has become problematic for many. We are seeking new ways of taking charge of our lives, new answers to finding our way out of the mental health system, new roads to our own recovery.

We are currently seeking sponsorship by interested groups and organizations to help us realize these goals. Coming out of this conference, we want to form a network of groups and organizations that would be a member subgroup of Mindfreedom International, that promote or provide such alternatives. We also plan to develop an interactive website directory of these services.

If you would like to become involved in the Choice Campaign, please email creativerevolution@mindfreedom.org.

The MindFreedom Campaign for Choice in Mental Health Committe is led by of Janet Foner, chair; Matt Morissey, co-chair and co-secretary; Celia Brown, Conference Coordinator; Florence Brown, co-secretary."
sandpiper

Postby sandpiper » Oct 05, 2007 2:22 pm

I heard from the Doves! Yay! I'm so excited. It was a short but sweet email to say they will contact me soon. There is also a possibility that I might get to actually converse with the Rock Dove Collective (and others) in person in shared space and time as a part of an open meeting they are organizing.

Very cool.

I have been saving up to go visit family and friends on the east coast so if I have enough advance notice I think this could happen. (Since the doves are in NYC I am making a very good guess that this is where the meeting would be.)

Maybe some others who are interested in this idea of a progressive provider network would be able to join in this too!

I'll keep y'all posted.

sandpiper
sandpiper

Postby Inel » Oct 05, 2007 6:18 pm

This kicks ass! Yes, very cool!!! I'm so glad you're taking this on and that you are reaching out to those who have accomplished similar things already and how you have posted what's going on and asked for folks to dive in and join you. This pretty much sums up how shit should be getting done around here.

Awesome you can bust up the family time with some task to be taking care of. I'm on the verge of a similar journey West to deal with stuff where I'd like to line up some other purpose or task to take the edge off the intensity by bringing some current life projects into my past life in places.

I'm lovin' the visual aids you keep using to keep the topic fun and fresh!
You Rock and I've got some docs that would be elated to submit something to be included in this resource. I keep thinking about how my own personal community acupuncture clinic and the community health clinic where I go would be so into making themselves available to support other providers in being as cool as them. Where I'm so grateful for what I've got the things that seem to be common threads are...embrace harm reduction, easy access, creative/flexible low cost payment options.
Inel

Re: Rock Dove Collective and Similar Projects/

Postby furstone » Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Hello, dear Icaristas ~ I was just reading through some old posts here and thinking about how relevant they still are and how all these threads are just so full of ideas and possibility. The other day, I was thinking about how "we" (as people involved in various groups who may be interested in fostering collaborative grassroots networks, etc) might go about in establishing solidarity/info. share/camaraderie with some other groups/networks that are working/living in ways that resonate with the mission/intent of Icarus - that's a wide net phrasing, because there isn't really a specific point or aim, other than to build solidarity and keep up with all the amazing work that's going on.

I know that Icarus - if not as a collective then as autonomous individuals doing what they do - is in good contact with a lot of other networks. I'm trying to think of a clear, concise means of establishing a channel of communication between all these different groups (MindFreedom, -still developing - MotherBearCAN, -still developing- WellnessWordworks, others on the "mental health"/wellness/recovery topic) + (Rock Dove, small collectives working around anarchist principles/means~>ends) + (various art collectives, etc.) + (Intl. groups)

Apparently, there's been some talk about a re-issue of the Icarus mission statement in anticipation of the 10th anniversary coming up in Sept. I am wondering if, as people are thinking about all this, it may be useful to consider establishing something of correspondence and solidarity effort to try to help keep abreast of all the amazing work that collectives and movements are doing, from here to there to everywhere and actively seek ways to collaborate (even very lightly) on specific aims that overlap with Icarus work/interest.

If we compile a list of groups+contacts that might be nice to establish working/communicative solidarity with, we could perhaps figure out what solidarity might look like (cross-posting, info. share, referrals/networking, specific projects to collaborate on, etc.?) and extend a gesture toward affiliation with a clear channel of communication (a forum, a list-serv, a collaborative meta-collective blog-space/collective clearinghouse?)

What do y'all think? I know that we all have our own little/big networks and that there are nexus points all over the place.

This quote was posted in re: to Icarus the other night and I've thought a lot about the relation between "real" and conceptual/imagined communities the past couple of days, about how I know that there are all these people doing all this work that rings and echoes with all these other efforts and stories...well, I know a lot of people are in solidarity with ideas and in support of work, but that as independent networks (and networks have no boundaries in my mind) there can be some isolation in function, real or imagined.

Oh, yeah...the quote:

Benedict Anderson on the history of the nation state in his classic book Imagined Communities:

"It is imagined because the members of even the smallest nation will never know most of their fellow-members, meet them, or even hear of them, yet in the minds of each lives the image of their communion…It is imagined as sovereign because the concept was born in an age in which Enlightenment and Revolution were destroying the legitimacy of the divinely-ordained, hierarchical dynastic realm."

While I love and rely on the thought of a vast amorphous network of people all envisioning and working from that vision in their own ways that work for them and their local communities, I really am feeling drawn toward the idea of reinforcing the potential of the "realness" of all these little<big<bigger networks. Working from a very loose horizontal spokes-type model and without any agenda other than to make new friends in good work, it might be a nice way to pull a lot of folks together in the spirit of human collectivism?

Maybe that has already been happening or is happening elsewhere or I just don't know? Please tell me if it is, because I'd be super-stoked to hear of it.

Hmmm...I tried to add a little drawing of little messy hexagons linked together with some lines, but it didn't work.

X-x-X-x-X-x-X-x-X
x-X-x-X-x-X-x-X-x No, it's just not the same. o-O-o-O-o-O-o-O-o-O ...a little better. :)

Mad Love and hope that you all are well.
No child on this earth was ever meant to be ordinary - a. dillard
furstone

Return to Provider Network Planning