It is currently Jul 19, 2019 2:23 am

a place for info and and ideas and brainstorming as this community resource develops. this can be a temporary subforum until the network is up and running

Postby scatter » Jun 24, 2005 2:37 pm

sometime back in the winter, after dozens of requests for cool doctor referrals from icarus folks, ashley and i decided it was time to be proactive our radical community health care visions and come up with a tool for organizing our friends. we talked about what we were looking to accomplish, took down some notes, and then i sat next to ashley on her bed in west oakland and watched her literally channel this document through her fingertips in like 30 minutes. we sent it out and asked for comments, will hall, alex samets, and lane arye made some minor suggestions - and here it is a bunch of months later, lying dormant, waiting to be put into action.
this week at fountain house, griffin, who is the newest member of our crew, decided to take on the responsibility for putting together a small document to go along with the agreement to help folks all over the country use it to organize a local provider network for their community. the vision is that any new icarus group can go about trying to find cool doctors and health care workers in their area and then when folks want to join the group and are looking for a therapist or an accupuncturist there will be a databse of contacts waiting for them.
i'm facilitating this sunday's meeting at fountain house cause mads is out of town and i think we're going to spend a check of time talking about our relationships to our health care providers - what works for us and what doesn't work for us, what we need to keep us healthy and strategies for finding it.
anyway, please give us comments on this thing cause it's still a fluid document, and if anyone wants to work on this project with us wherever you are - give a shout out.
sascha

The Icarus Project Provider Network

About The Icarus Project
The Icarus Project is a grassroots non-profit support organization that was originally formed in 2002 by and for people struggling with Bipolar Disorder who feel that the medical model of "mental illness" is highly limited. We operate a beloved and strikingly creative community website with several thousand dedicated users, publish and distribute alternative literature on Bipolar and community-based mental health support, conduct workshops on these topics in diverse communities, and are currently involved in starting a network of alternative support groups worldwide.

Our membership is comprised primarily of people who have been diagnosed Bipolar but also includes people with other mental health struggles and/or psychiatric labels who resonate with our mission. Our members tend to be uniquely creative, thoughtful, political, and often brilliant individuals who are determined to take charge of their own mental health and have empowered relationships with their healthcare providers. Many of our members use traditional treatments like psychiatric medications and therapy as part of managing their care, and many of our members use alternative treatments like nutrition, acupuncture, and spiritual practice as important adjuncts to or replacements for conventional therapies.

The Icarus Model of Dangerous Gifts
Defining ourselves outside convention, we do not believe our conditions can be satisfactorily reduced to "disorders" or "brain diseases" needing to be cured or eliminated. While we acknowledge that there are indisputably biological components to these conditions, we reject the view that the experiences they color are entirely pathological. Personal experience has made us acutely aware of the enormous and sometimes tragic potential for damage and dysfunction that comes with the kinds of extreme thought patterns that our culture labels as "mental illness." Nonetheless, we see a level of sensitivity, creativity, and thirst for life among so many people labeled with these conditions that we believe setting a goal of eliminating them entirely would be a tragic loss to humanity. We propose a more nuanced and hopeful understanding of "mental illness": conditions like Bipolar Disorder can be dangerous gifts which require very careful handling. If we don't learn to take care of ourselves we can cause tremendous suffering, but if we find ways to heal and understand ourselves, both as individuals and as communities, we have the potential to change the world. Healthcare providers can be important collaborators as we undertake the process of learning how to live with the minds we've been given.

The Icarus Project Provider Network
One of the most demoralizing and discouraging parts of seeking help for these conditions is encountering providers who are only able to view mental health struggles in terms of the dehumanizing paradigm of disease and dysfunction, and who are not open to any alternative ways of understanding or treating these problems. Our local Icarus Project chapter is in the process of compiling a resource list of area health care providers who are open to, or even inspired by, the Icarus Model of mental health conditions as potentially dangerous gifts rather than unequivocally pathological disorders. This list will be used to help current and future members locate compatible providers in their area, and will become a source of referrals and guidance.

We would like to add you to our provider list if you are open to the model presented thus far and can respect the following basic principles:

1. While psychiatric labels like "bipolar disorder" and "schizophrenia" can be useful in categorizing and understanding our struggles in relationship to other people and to the available medical literature, we do not see clinical diagnosis as an end in itself nor as a complete understanding of our experiences. Some of us feel that these labels can actually get in the way of our healing, and we ask for respect if we choose to understand our experiences without the framework of psychiatric diagnosis.

2. We recognize that psychiatric drugs and psychotherapy are useful forms of treatment for many people, but we do not believe they are the only possible forms of treatment. In addition, we believe that the potential for serious side-effects and trade-offs in quality of life must be honestly investigated each time medication is considered. We believe that openness to discussing using medication in decreased dosages, exploring alternative therapies, and finding other creative ways to address our problems is essential in any relationship with a provider.

3. We do not identify with the language of mental health "consumers." Our mental health is not a commodity to be bought and sold. We are individual human beings struggling to make sense of our experiences, and we may or may not choose to consume services offered by the current mental health system. We want to be involved in figuring out ways to take charge of our mental health and improve our lives. We want to be included in all decision-making about our treatment as much as possible. We insist on being treated as competent, intelligent individuals who should be well-informed about all aspects of our treatment.

4. If we participate in alternative cultures or have unusual gender/sexual/racial/class identities with which you are unfamiliar, we expect unequivocal respect for these facts. We are not interested in working with providers who consider our cultural, lifestyle, or identity choices as part of our mental health problems and feel a need to get us more in line with the mainstream. Similarly, if we choose not to participate in the ideal of the 40 hour work week and instead choose unorthodox work schedules and housing choices that may permit us to engage in creative or socially conscious pursuits, we expect respect and will not accept judgmental attitudes towards these choices.

5. We strongly believe that mental health care should be accessible to as many people as possible, and we find it extremely problematic that the American health care system is a for-profit enterprise. To this end, whenever possible we strongly encourage participating providers to consider offering sliding scales or working with public assistance programs that will allow more people to have access to their services.

If you are interested in participating in our network, please fill out the following:

Name:_____________________________________________________________________
Field (Psychiatry, Acupuncture, etc.): ____________________________________________
Description of your practice: ____________________________________________________
Are you open to barter/trade? ___________ Can you prescribe medication? ____________
What are your fees? _________________________________________________________
"Bipolar I with Psychotic Features", but somehow that just doesn't seem to capture the essence of the whole dilemma.
http://theicarusproject.net/blog/scatter
scatter

Postby sandpiper » Sep 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Wow! It sounds like this version/incarnation of the Icarus Project Provider Network form is to be given to local health care provider people for canvassing purposes... to see which providers would be open to our paradigm...

like I could use this as a screening tool to help me choose my healing posse...

???

and it could be used to build local networks of health practitioners ...

SO I guess those of us who know someone to refer could fill out the details and those of us who don't could cast this form out into the pond of practioners to see who bites !

Was this the final incarnation of this document? Has anyone ever given this to a potential doctor? How has this form been used?

thanks!

sandpiper
sandpiper

Postby sandpiper » Sep 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Oh, I found this former thread which gives me a little more clarity...

http://theicarusproject.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1741

ashley wrote:So Sascha and I were inspired by a book we were reading about mental health support groups to consider including information in this thing we're writing that might help different regional groups compile resource lists of worthy healthcare providers in their area. We got the idea to write up a statement of purpose and agreement that doctors/acupuncturists/pdocs/etc. could review and sign if they wanted to be included in the network. We also figured it would be a useful resource for anyone trying to find someone new to work with.
sandpiper

provider form?

Postby eris » Dec 06, 2007 12:53 pm

i can't find the form providers can agree to and sign. anyone know where it is?
eris

Postby Inel » Dec 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Inel

Postby eris » Dec 06, 2007 1:04 pm

thanks, inel.
yeah, but there used to be a page long form that presented that directly to providers, with a nice icarus letterhead. it was more of an agreement with a client...
i don't know if this has been transferred to this link, but if anyone knows where that form is (if it still exists), that would be great.
eris

Postby silverelf » Feb 27, 2008 7:23 pm

bizzump - would still like to see some movement on this with local groups
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby Inel » Feb 27, 2008 8:02 pm

bizzump, ump, ump!

sandpiper started working on some stuff related to provider resources a wee while back and i'm a thinkin' there's some other threads about it some somewhere...

local groups taking charge of sharing local resources seems the best way to go in this area. it is still unclear to me which local groups are active out there...besides of course the always up to date st. louis thread, the fantastic folks in minneapolis and randomly reporting ashevillians...

thanks for keeping us on our toes silverelf!!!
Last edited by Inel on Mar 26, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inel

Postby NotAPuppet » Mar 01, 2008 9:23 pm

okay, I'm utterly confused. Is there a page up with providers yet (besides ones in Ashville, that is)? I was about to start a post asking about this center I had heard of in WI, but I thought I'd start here.

Any guidance you have--links, or if you know the name of the treatment center I might be referring to--would be helpful.

Thanks!
NotAPuppet

Postby Aine » Oct 19, 2008 8:46 am

Scatter, that sounds really nice. But because I live in Ireland, I have to see the doctor I've got - I don't have a choice. Also I don't have the choice NOT to see him!
Aine

Postby rriverstone » Mar 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Is this happening, or did this thread just burrow int yet another?
rriverstone

Postby silverelf » Mar 26, 2010 12:58 am

spring thread dusting-off.

anyone interested in committing time and energy to this project? it seems to be one of the most commonly asked questions, yet.........
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Re: The Icarus Project Provider Network Resurfaces

Postby scatter » Feb 18, 2012 2:23 pm

still looking at this language in 2012
"Bipolar I with Psychotic Features", but somehow that just doesn't seem to capture the essence of the whole dilemma.
http://theicarusproject.net/blog/scatter
scatter

Re: The Icarus Project Provider Network Resurfaces

Postby voyager640 » Feb 26, 2012 1:19 am

Kink Aware Professionals has a long-standing directory of providers that are kink-aware:
https://ncsfreedom.org/resources/kink-a ... epage.html

It might be worth talking to them and seeing how we can connect- maybe our list and theirs could link to each other, maybe we could contact some of the people from their list that seem particularly radical mental health friendly to talk to them about icarus, maybe we could ask about kink awareness on our questionnaire, etc...
voyager640

Return to Provider Network Planning