It is currently Jul 19, 2019 2:30 am

Recommended Providers on webpage

a place for info and and ideas and brainstorming as this community resource develops. this can be a temporary subforum until the network is up and running

Postby christin » Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

Yeah I think taking the boards is a separate project. I was thinking last night that maybe some about advance directives regarding forced treatment could be added. Like an agreement to respect and adhere to the person's directive whenever possible. I think with licensed practitioners anyway you get a vibe about what their style is and if you can trust them.
christin

Postby christin » Nov 28, 2007 10:01 am

And I may be totally wrong here but don't many people with "mental illness" qualify as vulnerable adults and would be subject to the same mandated reporting as children?
christin

Re: Recommended Providers on webpage

Postby voyager640 » Feb 26, 2012 1:30 am

The issue of government-mandated treatment is a complicated one. I know many parents and family members of people with mania or psychosis, for example, who have watched their loved ones destroy their lives without having any ability to step in and do something. I've also had plenty of suicidal friends that really needed help, and absent any alternative structure for dealing with these kind of crises, mandating some sort of treatment really made a lot of sense for them at the time.

I'd prefer that we not take a stance on that issue and focus instead on building community supports to keep people out of crisis and alternative crisis-response methods... I mean, when I was having a reaction to medication and my doctor told me to check into a hospital, there wasn't really any radical alternatives that I could have chosen to access instead ... it was a choice between scaring the fuck out of the people in the housing coop I lived in as I entered and left the house at all hours of the night and said strange bizarre mysterious things to them all the time or checking into the hospital where people who had the time and energy and skills to handle my situation were there...

So, yeah, I'd be opposed to having a position on mandated treatment that we required providers to adhere to.
voyager640

Previous

Return to Provider Network Planning