It is currently Nov 18, 2018 3:46 am

Asheville's "Sister Icarus" and Regional Friends

Postby Inel » Sep 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Today at the library, I saw a lovely human made flyer that drew me to it beyond all the others trying to cover it up.

It said:
Sister Icarus
Livid Ideas in Motion
Meets Tuesdays 7pm
and a lot of other really exciting and fun stuff.

Who are you? Are you here...in IcarusLand? No doubt, I'll hunt you down next week, but my head is already spinning.

After a meeting with my collective friends yesterday about how to deal with the aftermath of Mad Gifts Week and a visit from people in the national collective, we decided that focusing our publicity on college campuses and then making ourselves available to help start another group at UNCA, Warren Wilson or AB-Tec may be the answer to the question of how to deal with more and more people already coming to weekly Asheville Radical Mental Health Collective meetings and to support the direction Icarus National is taking with campus organizing. Now, seeing that flyer got me mighty interested to learn what other Icarus organizing is happening right here in my tiny town.

The part that is crazy making is that so often as organizers, we keep reinventing the wheel, duplicate what is already being done, want to take ownership over stuff and somehow forget or don't know how to collaborate, share or synergize our energy and join forces in solidarity. And then the humbling part is that I work so frickin' hard staying in the loop of so many community organizing efforts and trying to keep my finger on the pulse of the collective needs of this community. I'm out there. And I wonder why oh why in this tiny town did I not hear of you or you not hear of me/us sooner?

Shout out if you're here! In fact all of Asheville here, shout out! Also, if you are near here (within 200 miles) and want support starting something where you are or want to come visit us here and skill/story swap...PLEASE SHOUT OUT!

Thanks! I'm feeling a bit disconnected no matter how hard I try to connect or stay in all these dizzy loops.
Inel

Postby abbiesdisciple1 » Oct 02, 2007 3:20 pm

I've often wondered about a lot of the same things. After all, I'm "Out" all over the place in so many ways. It's always Amazing to me when I find groups or individuals of whom I've never heard and/or who have never heard of me. Of course, it's also exciting to know about/meet others like myself. It IS frustrating to me, however, that we haven't Found Each Other before now.

So...don't feel alone! "You're Not the Only One" as Guns'n'Roses said...

Blessed Be... Sky SaintMartha

P.S. A few minutes ago, I sent out an email about Icarus' call for materials for various projects AND I received an email in return from a Very Well-Known reporter for a major newspaper here. That reporter said that per LOVES the term "Dangerously Gifted" but that per can't USE it in per's job for fear of being fired. See how alone we are NOT? ;-)

P.P.S. PER is a non-gender-specific pronoun I learned about from reading the works of Marge Piercy. It can mean He, She or It (which is also the title of one of her books :-).
abbiesdisciple1

Postby Inel » Oct 02, 2007 3:47 pm

perrrrrrrrrrrr...thanks for chiming in. you wouldn't believe the strange conversations i've been in today. we will be talking.

i just now remembered saying back in the cold anarchist space where our group began where everyone was ambiguously "young" and we all wore black far too often..."I KNOW GRANDMOTHER'S MORE RADICAL THAN YOU!"

and then you arrived. I'm grateful for you, Sky, St. Martha, Abbie's Diciple. Sitting at the other end of that long table in that straight laced meeting making some profound quote then citing Hoffman, talking about the early days of the AIDS crisis and ACT UP...i adore you. You make me crazy and I'm crazy for you! Waking up early to sit in poorly lit rooms with men in suits, signing up to speak truth to power and staying late to scam the food and score a ride. i love you.
Inel

Postby Inel » Oct 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Livid Ideas in Motion-(Sister Icarus)
Meets Tuesdays 7pm
Basement of the Sword & Grail on Broadway

just got an email back from a person i'm excited to meet who said:
We have been meeting weekly for a little over 2 months. Everyone is welcome to come collaborate with any ideas they have and we all try and accomidate with any help we can give. So far we have help a pot luck, open mic, trash pick up and currently we are working on a ongoing enstallation art show in asheville on the streets. Our goal is to try and click people out of their daily absorbtion of advertising and just general monoculture.

One of the more challenging projects we are working around right now is a skills class/workshop days in October. Right now I am working on a phamlet but so far there is great intrest in teaching classes and sharing needed knowledge. So far we have circuit bending, bicycle repair, quilting, pop up books, book binding, tyedying, and basic car repair (like changing a tire and oil) If you have any skill you'd like to come talk about or demonstrate I'd love to hear from you. After the workshops I how to make a large How To zine condensing our workshop days.

As for the amount of people involved, we have a steady 10-15 people that show up every week but we've had almost 20 show up out of curiousity. I need tons of help with word of mouth promotion and art to hang around asheville. I just started putting up posters for the urban art show and its under the name, apocolypse, written as if you were reading it in a mirror. look around for them.

so i'm taking a nap and then plan on connecting. if you're in asheville, see you there.
Inel

Livid Ideas in Motion-(Sister Icarus)

Postby abbiesdisciple1 » Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

WOW!!! How on Earth can it be that I've NEVER heard of this group before now! I can't make it to their meeting tonight; however, I'll try to make it next week. I just Have to say it again: WOW!!!

And thank you so much for being such a Bright Star in my personal "Starry, Starry Night" You have no idea how much your words of encouragement have and do mean to me.

I love you, too...

Sky SaintMartha

P.S. It is now 4:12 p.m. in Asheville. You can call me, if you'd like, at 828-253-6351. You should be warned, however, that I am already well on my way to getting drunk. Also, please know that I screen ALL of my calls, so you have to speak up After the Beep. Hope you get a good nap in! I have NO idea how you maintain such a high level of energy on an ongoing basis. YOU are truly amazing!!! And a great inspiration to SSSOOO many of us...
abbiesdisciple1

Postby Inel » Oct 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Ah, so we finally meet! Coffee at the Co-op today with two amazing women all full of fire for dismantling the mono cult and enacting a vision of a d.i.y. collective. They have used several names (currently apocolypse or espylocopa) and are still playing with words, collective identity and getting more folks to step up and initiate/participate. I'm in love with them already and all the amazing stuff they've been up to...leaving random confessional notes with an anon email to respond, covert public art installations, a fundraiser/material drive potluck coming up, and a big skill share turning into hand outs and a how-to zine in January 08.

Tomorrow night, kicking off Mad Gifts Week, we meet same time/place...
7-9pm YWCA on S. French Broad, Downtown.

I'm gonna give the report back from the VA Tech Icarus Project meet up (maybe a slide show) AND our local sister icarus group will share what they have collectively cooking.

i'm giddy in an exhausted kind of way...gotta go giddy up!

(hey, little sis if you're here chime in...)
Inel

Postby espylocopa » Oct 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Hello

I believe its us you speak of.
I'm Stefania, my friend Colleen helps collaborate too. But I'm going to be organizing and such for the online portion of our collective because thats as much as I'll be able to reach while I'm away in the U.K.
Please come to the meetings, they change to
Wednesdays at 5.30 after this coming Tuesday.

We're having a movie showing, potluck, materials drive on Nov.6
More to come with postings and such. I guess I'll announce the rest in a more appropriate forum..
espylocopa

Postby strangedoll » Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm

is "sister icarus" still happening?

also, I just googled "radical mental health" and found a group in chapel hill that meets sunday nights!
strangedoll

Return to Asheville, NC