It is currently Nov 18, 2018 3:39 am

Hello Cruel World--Book Discussion Group

Hello Cruel World--Book Discussion Group

Postby Inel » Aug 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello Cruel World Book Discussion Group
Five Week Series Begins Tuesday September 2nd, 2pm
SOC-Downtown 36 Grove Street

Locally, we are blessed with a woman who is amazing at guiding discussions based on books. Last year we got a bunch of Navigating the Space Readers and she guided a wildly popular discussion series based on readings from it.

Anyway, Kate Bornstein is so amazing an an Icarus ally and the book is actually fun and accessible and I imagine it will open the door to a lot of discussion about how to create lives worth living. We will likely add to the list of 101 Alternatives to Suicide.
Check out the website here...http://www.hellocruelworld.net/
and join in the discussion in this here thread.

Books, movies, articles are a real accessible way to start discussions and I highly recommend doing this as a simple way to get your community talking and maybe even start more long term groups and mutual aid networks.

Also if you know of other easy to read and discuss books for radical mental health discussions please put suggestions here as well. Thanks!
Inel

Postby strangedoll » Aug 28, 2008 10:36 am

I'm excited to read this, though I keep forgetting to order it. Should do that today.
strangedoll

Postby lupine » Aug 29, 2008 7:44 am

Way to go, Inel! That is indeed an awesome book. I've found it really helpful. I think Kate really writes with a lot of love and humor.
lupine

Postby Inel » Sep 02, 2008 11:08 am

This starts today. Those other book group posts reminded me. I'm not the local book group guru or goddess, merely a supporter and promoter.

I'll see if anyone from the physical group wants to post online here and folks who have already read the book in Icarusland can join in the discussion here.

There will be handouts and a few extra books on hand and those who can't commit to all 5 weeks can drop in whatever Tuesday they can to participate.

Thanks for the support Lupine!!! Sending big mad love to North Coast Icarus!
Inel

Postby Inel » Sep 09, 2008 10:23 pm

"All the world's great civil rights movements have sought to harmlessly break some cultural bully standard. And all the outlaws who survived those civil rights movements have learned an important lesson. We understand that we can be outsiders and be miserable about it, or we can be outsiders and enjoy the fuck out of ourselves until we're old and weird and happy just being our geeky, freaky, outlaw selves. Understanding that is how we stay alive in a world that doesn't like who or what we are, what we look like, who we love, or how we act."

The book group is going really well! The conversation around topics that have come up are super dynamic and I'm amazed to hear folks openly talking about life and death with laughter.
hell(o) kitty facilitates

strangedolll and lupine, thanks for the support!
Inel

Return to Asheville, NC