It is currently Nov 18, 2018 4:52 am

Sassafras Community Health Collective

Postby sandpiper » Nov 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Here is something cool I just found out about...

The Sassafras Community Health Collective

http://sassafrascommunityhealthcollective.yolasite.com/

The Sassafras Community Health Collective is a group of herbalists and other health care providers interested in creating new models for community wellness. We continue to engage in the study and practice of sustainable, accessible, and anti-oppressive health care.We believe that self-care allows us greater choice and empowerment in our lives. We think that quality health care is accessible, educational, and anti-oppressive. We seek to build community by supporting people in and around Asheville, North Carolina in meeting their heath care needs. We are excited to share our love of plants and herbal medicine with you.

We Offer:

Workshops and Gatherings on health care, self-care and herbalism

Zines and other Literature

Sliding Scale Herbal Consultations

Free Drop in Herbal Medicine Clinic at AHOPE. 1-4pm Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month.

We are excited to co-sponsor or co-lead workshops, clinical hours, and other health-related events. Please contact us if you are interested in working together. We’d love to hear from you!

Ashevillehealthcollective@gmail.com

Open Invitation To Participate In Creating A Community Health Network

We are collaborating with the Asheville community to create a comprehensive directory of affordable, accessible, integrative health care in the area.The SCHC understands that individuals and communities stand at multiple intersections of race, language, income, gender, age ability, sexuality, nationality and that our current health care systems sometimes fail to address the needs of those identities and circumstances. Sometimes it's hard to find health care at all. Because health care is a right and not a privilege, we want people to have easy access to providers who practice care that is empowering and specific to their needs.

HOW YOU CAN HELP WITH THIS PROJECT!

If this includes you (physicians, naturopath, herbalists, etc) we want to hear from you! You can also reccomend your current health care provider! Fill out our forms in the Ways to Help section.
sandpiper

Postby sandpiper » Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Dearest Friends,

We are inviting you to to join us on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH for a

HEALTH CARE SCAVENGER HUNT!

The Collective is creating a Resource Guide for accessible, holistic health care in Asheville (can you believe one doesn't exist yet?) To find out more about the Resource Guide Project, please visit

http://sassafrascommunityhealthcollective.yolasite.com/

Our Day of Action will be an effort to collect information about all the amazing resources in our community. Folks will be asked to gather in the morning in small groups and visit offices and providers with questionnaires to collect this information. WE NEED AS MANY PEOPLE AS WE CAN GET. If you'd like to participate, please RSVP to ashevillehealthcollective@gmail.com.

WHEN: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH, 9 AM

WHERE: MONTFORD REC CENTER (LOWER PARKING LOT, BY THE BASEBALL FIELD), GAY STREET

WHY: TO HELP US CREATE OUT RESOURCE GUIDE. FOR YOU! FOR THE COMMUNITY!

WHAT TO BRING: CLIPBOARDS, PENS, CAR/BIKE/GOOD WALKING SHOES, SNACKS.

PLEASE SHARE WITH FRIENDS!

Thanks so much,

sandpiper

Postby strangedoll » Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

oooh! great resource! passing this on to a friend right now!

what is the name of that angel network that does reiki/massage/etc on people in the hospital and stuff? a friend in my writing class- her mom is dying/hospice and they could really use some loving hands.
"People either love me or they hate me. Or they think I'm just okay." -Mitch Hedberg
strangedoll

Postby sandpiper » Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm

strangedoll wrote:what is the name of that angel network that does reiki/massage/etc on people in the hospital and stuff?

If you are thinking of the one here in Asheville, I am drawing a blank right now on the name, but as soon as I can think of it I'll post it!

The Distance Healing Network can send reiki but they do it at a distance.... http://www.the-dhn.com/
sandpiper

Postby Inel » Nov 16, 2010 11:57 pm

thanks for the resource sandpiper. we should add it to the asheville resource list here: viewtopic.php?t=19092

strangedoll, it's called Heartsong Complimentary Health Team (they are awesome!) 828-515-0289
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Postby yaya. » Nov 17, 2010 12:37 am

i love Sassafras..the collective sounds pretty fly, too. many thanks
<address> </address>
<p> </p>
yaya.

Postby sandpiper » Nov 17, 2010 11:43 am

oh yeah, I thought we had a resource list somewhere. Thanks for the link, inel. I'll add this to our list.

aya yaya! I had never seen sassafrass trees till I moved here. The have very distinctive leaves. I have tons of little baby sassafrass trees popping up around my house. They are pretty cute!
sandpiper

Return to Asheville, NC