It is currently Nov 19, 2018 5:29 am

Patch Adams UNCA-Sat 9/17 + tea

Patch Adams UNCA-Sat 9/17 + tea

Postby Inel » Sep 16, 2011 1:08 pm

tomorrow is supposed to be a perfectly gloomy day for hearing/seeing patch adams and having a spontaneous mad tea party.

UNCA Week Long, Well-a-Bration, highlights that are free and open to the public include:
Dr. Patch Adams, physician, clown, activist, and founder of the Gesundheit!
Institute, a nonprofit project in holistic medical care based on the belief that
one cannot separate the health of the individual from the health of the family,
the community, the world, and the health care system itself. 2 p.m. Saturday,
Sept. 17, Sherrill Center, room 417.

mad kin try to find one another and come on home with me for tea and muffins.
i'll share what i recently learned in clowning class and open up the costume trunk if anyone is feeling sassy.
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Re: Patch Adams UNCA-Sat 9/17 + tea

Postby username1234 » Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Yay! How fun - patch Adams is a CHARACTER , have a good time inel ;)
username1234

Re: Patch Adams UNCA-Sat 9/17

Postby Inel » Sep 18, 2011 8:51 am

no mad tea party this time around, but we did go hear Patch speak and it was pretty awesome.

the talk started off with FRIENDS (not laughter) make the best medicine!

"If you have food and a friend...What are you bitching about."

Because we were at UNCA, he shared his dream of a campus free of anti-depressants and other psych meds and wanted to see people start "happiness clubs" or "friendship groups", where everyone was welcome and belonged with their weirdness and would be welcomed.

He said, "In 40 years of practicing medicine, I've never hated any of my patients enough to prescribe them psychotropic medication." He also has never charged any money to anyone for practicing medicine. "For my pleasure, I offer my time." "The unencumbered practice of care is an ecstatic experience."

Although delightful and a dynamic speaker, I could see how Patch could really piss off folks struggling with states of pain and dealing with trauma. He's got a bit of a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality. Says, "Depression isn't a real illness. It's part of the pain paradigm of, loneliness, boredom, fear." He went on to encourage everyone to read Robert Whitiker. When asked more directly about serious mental illnesses, he said, "It's selfishness. It's all about me, me, me, me," and, "the best alternative to mental illness and pharm cures is to GET A LIFE." He agreed, based on his own multiple trips to the psych ward and suicide attempts that, "it can be a healthy reaction to a fucked up society." He told stories about people coming to their hospital with issues and having "barf-a-longs with the bulimics". "You've just got to out weird the weird." "If someone is running naked, screaming up the hill, you need to run naked, scream and eat dirt."

Patch has witnessed a lot of suffering and pain around the world and still maintains an amazing attitude. He is well read and very political. A lot of the "get a life" attitude seems to come from a place of understanding just how fortunate we are living in the US, by comparison to how others live.

Things I liked that stick with me...

"Engage in the experiment of falling in love with people."
"Find your Love Thing."
Cultivate characteristics within yourself: Happy, Funny, Loving, Cooperative, Creative and Thoughtful.
"I dove into the ocean of gratitude and never found the shore."
"Go outside and decide not to be the problem."
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Return to Asheville, NC