It is currently Nov 18, 2018 3:58 am

Asheville!

Asheville!

Postby furstone » Feb 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi - I am going to try to get in the habit of checking in here more.

The ARMHC/Avl Icarus gatherings are going pretty well. We had, like, 14 people last week after the Mtn X article and it was awesome and a little daunting because folks were all in such different places. Reverence for horizontal organizing and the ideal of shared/self-facilitation aside, we definitely have identified a need there to be people with the clear roles of facilitator/co-facilitator.

The local co-op coffeeshop/radical bookstore has done some collective facilitation trainings before and has offered to support the ARMHC in potential plans for making the opportunity to learn/sharpen/discover facilitation skills.

It would be nice to have some conversations about what we mean when we say that we're a "collective." What does that look like for us? What comes with it?

In April, the ARMHC is holding an open-community arts/expressive event that is - unless someone objects tremendously over the next couple of days - going to be called Going to the Madlands! An Exploration of Mental Health, Sanity, and Liberation in Form, Scope, and Voice. Some great people are getting involved around this event and it ought to be a good time.

In the meantime, Tuesdays at the Downtown Market 4:30 - 6:30, onward and upward...
No child on this earth was ever meant to be ordinary - a. dillard
furstone

Re: Asheville!

Postby sandpiper » Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

FaithRR wrote: In April, the ARMHC is holding an open-community arts/expressive event that is - unless someone objects tremendously over the next couple of days - going to be called Going to the Madlands! An Exploration of Mental Health, Sanity, and Liberation in Form, Scope, and Voice. Some great people are getting involved around this event and it ought to be a good time.

I saw the poster for this on Firestorm's Community Bulletin board today! I am curious about this. I'd like to know more about it, but I am not sure exactly what it is....
sandpiper

Postby furstone » Feb 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi Sandpiper! Thanks for noticing the notice. It's basically an arts/expresson evening around themes of "mental health, sanity, and liberation...etc." - which means multimedia and opportunities for people to show their work or sing their song or do their small dramatic performance, under the umbrella of radical mental health...whatever that means to people, as that open subjectivity in interpretation seems to be - at this point - a component of what's radical about radical mental health. It is not an open-mic., though there may be spontaneous expression in addition to that which is scheduled.

There will be a table with Icarus materials and some really good performers and art around, as well as a voluntary participatory action in which people can leave phrases about the world "Madlands" - that I can then piece together into a poem.

A band from Georgia that is friends with a person that is affiliated with Icarus might come up to play a set at the end, in lieu of a repeat showing of Crooked Beauty. They are called Werewolves and, in my opinion are triumphantly awesome.

Are you in the ARMHC yahoo group? I'm going to be sending out a message with a couple of more details and some links to songs withing the next 24 hours.

Feel free to email the radmadasheville@theicarusproject.net address if you are not getting updates or just want to know more specifics about particular things.

If I haven't met you...well, hopefully I will.

In any event, Mad Love.
furstone

Postby furstone » Feb 21, 2013 11:43 pm

the world "Madlands" -

...Oops, I meant the word "Madlands" - which is a word I first heard used by Inel and which makes me feel happy for some reason.
furstone

Postby sandpiper » Apr 06, 2013 8:52 am

FaithRR wrote: In April, the ARMHC is holding an open-community arts/expressive event that is - unless someone objects tremendously over the next couple of days - going to be called Going to the Madlands! An Exploration of Mental Health, Sanity, and Liberation in Form, Scope, and Voice. Some great people are getting involved around this event and it ought to be a good time.

Going to the Madlands! happened last night at Firestorm Cafe and Books. What a great gathering of people! I shared camaraderie with friends, made connections with new people, reconnected with people I haven't seen in awhile, and was touched by the thoughts, words, poetry, art, heart, and music people shared. Kindred spirits! I'm really glad this happened.

Thanks to everyone involved!

sandpiper
sandpiper

Postby furstone » Apr 06, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks so much for being there! It was a really great little event...so glad that it happened!
Thanks for being there and being a part of it...

Mad Love
furstone

Return to Asheville, NC