It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Nutrition Fixes?

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Nutrition Fixes?

Postby anna » Nov 28, 2007 6:28 pm

Anyone been helped by eating/avoiding certain foods? I know how to eat a balanced diet, just wondering if anyone has any extra tips?

Anna
anna

Postby silverelf » Nov 28, 2007 7:47 pm

i know a lot of people that have been tremendously helped by doing an elimination diet and eliminating offending foods from their diet for 6 months-a year (or forever) - common offenders include gluten (wheat), corn, dairy, bananas, peanuts, sesame, yeast, cured meats, and preservatives and flavorings. if you google "elimination diet" you will find lots of schedules. but be forewarned, they can be difficult.

i followed a strict diet (no wheat, soy, yeast, sugar, dairy, animal) for about a year and all my allergies (even my cat allergy) went away, but alas, the fatigue and depression stuck around.

If you just want to try one thing try either dairy or gluten (better yet, all grains/breads/cereals) for 2 weeks and see if it helps, those often seem to be two of the biggest.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby balance_striving » Feb 06, 2008 2:54 pm

im trying out the whole elimination diet thing, but i'm trying to find ways to use gluten-free flours and stuff to make pancakes, bread, and stuff (like almond flour, chicpea flour, anything w.out gluten)

also trying to fend off the soy (except the fermented stuff - chinese knew how to prepare their soy!) 'cuz i recently read that it's a pretty potent anti-nutrient from Ran Prieur's 2006 advice archive ( http://ranprieur.com/archives/advice2006.html ) where he links to a Weston A. Price Foundation page all about it: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

having a hard run of it thus far, but as long as i provide myself with good meals that are gluten-free, I'll be ok... (bought some bulk lentils for pretty cheap and threw in some garlic, onions, and ginger for a soup :) very tasty! :)

i'm probably not going to shun dairy completely (i LOVE kefir), but i have been reading some stuff about the general crappiness of industrial milk and stuff ... got me to google alternative ways of making cheese... without soy! check it out: http://www.almondessence.com/ebook/seedcheeseebook.pdf
(trying to go the "real milk" route)

i just started to get interest in this topic after I read Michael Pollan's latest book "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto." a totally amazing introduction to the necessity of whole foods...

going back to the whole Weston A. Price thing, i tried to look for a downloadable version of his "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" tome, but wiki'd him and there's a good in-depth review of the book that relays the basic meaning of it: http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0203CAT ... price.html

wow... i'm offically an icarus dork :P (just something im passionate about) (GREAT topic starter, by the way) yay for finding ways to enjoy being gluten-free...

[/url]
balance_striving

Postby inanna » Feb 07, 2008 9:59 am

In addition to the allergy-elimination side of things, if you are interested in mind-body connections you might explore the Chinese medicine approach to nutrition. It's a pretty big cognitive leap from the way Western medicine works, and I wasn't able to take it seriously until acupuncture pulled off a minor miracle for me. But I think I do take it seriously now.

The theory connects different systems in the body with different emotions: anger with the liver, fear with the kidneys/adrenals, grief with the lungs, etc. You treat both at the same time.

You can't generalize what should be eaten to treat depression or bipolar or whathaveyou, because everything depends on what else is going on in your system, you need to assess what's out of balance for the particular person. But I've been able to asses for myself and find things that are helpful for me using the book Healing With Whole Foods, by Paul Pitchford.
http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9781556434303

That book -- and many resources on this, if my impression is correct -- presents a vision of healthy eating that is miles away from what most Americans eat, even those of us who already think we're eating healthy. It's intimidating and if I thought I had to get to that ideal in order to benefit from this approach I would never even have tried it. I am using a sort of "harm reduction" approach to it, not even trying to reform my whole diet, but just adding a few things that are good for me and cutting back on a few things that aren't. And that's enough to be helpful. So don't let it scare you that way.
inanna

Postby spacetime_rambler » Mar 09, 2008 4:38 pm

I eat very healthy and the things I notice differences when I eat.

-Processed Sugars. anything with high fructose corn syrup.

- White bread.

- meats
(even though the last time I ate a piece of meat, it was weird. First time in over a year, I went to Whole Foods and bought an organic steak....I did feel like a million bucks afterwards , mentally and physically...I was actually surprised...I expected to take two bites and chuck it.....I ate the whole thing...

But normally, no meat. Maybe once a year, and I go all out...organic or wild game or nothing.

- gluten
is a BIG one

- milk
(even though every now and again I will sneak a glass, but anything more than a cup and my health knows it!)

I recommend reading a book or two by Andrew Weil, a doctor. I like that guy and take a lot of his advice.
spacetime_rambler

Postby Amy » Mar 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi, Anna!

I went gluten free and then tried to eliminate refined sugar, including refined grains and this backfired. Apparently, with depression, I read somewhere you actually need complex carbohydrates and on the go sometimes gluten free pasta is what I should have been reaching for. I also lost too much weight doing the veggie/fruit thing. Couldn't eat enough to save my life. Right now I'm gluten free, lots of whole foods, some refined grains (no preservatives), dairy a little (yogurt and ice cream...my one weakness), a bit of gluten free chocolate for mood sometimes, tofu so far as soy goes...no peanuts, yeast or eggs (eggs give me a headache.) Makes me feel physically better, but as silverelf said, don't know how much my mental health has been helped by these switches. Can't really tell when my meds keep changing also. Oh, increase sodium, vitamin B complex and just added cod liver oil (vitamin D). No coffee, soda, etc. Lots of water (have to with Lithium anyway)

NO MORE PMS cramps with gluten free. Yeah!

night-
Amy
<p>the beauty of the rain is how it falls</p>
<p>how it falls</p>
<p>how it falls --dar</p>
Amy

Postby rogue » Mar 09, 2008 11:50 pm

I like reading the New Whole Foods Encyclopedia for inspiration on being healthy. I don't really eat like that in reality though.
"A tide of homosexual anarchy is spreading across North America like wildfire!"
-Jerry Falwell (is finally dead)
rogue

Postby _BH_ » Mar 10, 2008 9:29 am

Yea the reality of my diet could be better...

In the past its been many different types... Curently I enjoy drinking kombucha as my beverage of choice as I have started brewing it on my own which makes it more affordable... I like whole foods alot, ate a bision steak from there last night with greens and organic mash potatoes, What do they call that place at trader joes... Whole Paycheck???

My partner and I also bought a juicer and I enjoy anysort of fresh juice regularly... carrot, apple, orange is a personal fav...

Despite this I am often am tempted to eat bad food at times.

I don't do dairy well... well except cheese in small amounts....
Who The Fuck Am I???
_BH_

Postby christin » Mar 20, 2008 1:25 pm

balance_striving - I have a recipe for kefir out of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) that I am dying to try. It's in the book Wild Fermentation.

I am busy fiddling with my diet right now. It is from the book UltraMetabolism and basically is an elimination diet. So right now the only things I am eating are fruits, veggies, seeds, beans, and nuts. And like brown rice and some other grains like this stuff called amaranth. And organic unsweetened soy milk, extra virgin organic olive oil and 70+% dark chocolate. I'm on day four. Like for lunch I had homemade black bean soup and a giant salad (6 cups!) and I am starting to feel better and less foggy.

But I think getting a lot of antioxidants from whole foods is important to fight off free radical and just our bodies need all the help they can get. I take super multivitamins and borage/fish/flax oil tablets. I haven't cut out caffeine completely, I've been drinking Yogi Green Tea Super Anti-Oxidant which has grapeseed extract and herbs and tannins.
christin

Re: Nutrition Fixes?

Postby jerome81 » Dec 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Learned a lot from the thread.. however I was wondering how the elimination of banana helps.
Last edited by jerome81 on Dec 03, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerome81

Postby Corvus » Dec 03, 2011 3:19 am

Weird that this just got bumped to the top today. I just started a lower, to no, wheat diet after reading about how gluten can aggravate or create bipolar symptoms. I am also trying to reduce sugar. I am taking the slow approach as I think I am kinda addicted to both. I've also been vegan about 5.5 years and that has helped immensely in many ways.
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Jung
Corvus

Postby guguface » Dec 21, 2011 7:24 am

I was eating:

No sugar (reading all the labels and checking)

No tomatoes (they somehow "affect" schizophrenia...?)

No gluten

No artificial stuff

No eggs (same as the tomatoes)

And I finally came to a breaking point about 2 months ago. I haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but instead OCD..I don't know how a professional doctor misdiagnosed me with that, but two different doctors, equals two different opinions. Anyways, I know I was a lot skinnier. I was also working out everyday and I think in the end I got pretty burnt out. Now I eat chocolate, probably too much and anything I want to really. I kind of reconvinced myself it's all mental. If you think you're getting fat...then you are. But I'm kind of at a point where I don't know what to eat. The way I was eating was WAY too extreme for me. Drinking tea before work to get "de-stressed", taking Maca Root, searching natural remedies and I got kind of sick and tired of it all. I think maybe it did help, but I realized that it's no good not letting yourself have sugar AT ALL or things that you crave. It become this constant obsession of what I was going to put into my body and I convinced myself that certain things made me feel sick.
Anyhow, I think eating RAW is the best way. I wish I had more discipline to eat such a way. A 72 year old woman eats raw and she looks like she's 45. My mom and I think, the closest to nature the better. Hope this helps or sparks some ideas. xo
"Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way."- Alan Watts
guguface

Postby guguface » Dec 21, 2011 7:25 am

Btw,
I think bananas are one of the most miraculous foods. Those and blueberries. They have got to be SO good for you. I also like wheatgrass.
"Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way."- Alan Watts
guguface

Return to Food and Health