It is currently Sep 18, 2019 5:04 am

recipe and food talk

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

recipe and food talk

Postby strangedoll » Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm

A couple of us were talking about food/recipes/grocery shopping over in Sandpiper's blog. Nurturing our bodies is so good and so important and often so difficult... whether it's anxiety about the shopping or feeling too depressed too bother or simply just out of ideas... so let's share!

What are you cooking today? What have you made in the past that was super yummy?

Tonight I'm making ginger-honey carrots (peel/chop carrots, boil till kinda soft, combine with a couple tablespoons of honey, some ginger and a whole lot of butter and let simmer awhile) with pork chops (I buy in bulk then put two in each freezer bag and pour random sauces in the bags. Then when I defrost them, they are already marinated) and mashed potatoes from a box.

This week I also want to make a big pot of chicken tortilla soup. This is the out-of-a-can-recipe.

cook and cut up some chicken. put in a pot.

Buy a can or two of:
magic beans (or chili beans or some kind of flavored spicy beans)
other beans, corn
tomatoes (with jalepenos or garlic already in them)
chicken soup stock

put all that in a pot. you can eat it right away, but I like to let it simmer for a couple of hours.

put tortilla chips in a bowl. spoon soup over them. (the chips add salt and crunch). top with cheese and/or sour cream.

this is really good left over and I even like it cold! so I make a big pot and then eat it for lunch most of the week.
strangedoll

Postby Nightbloom » Jan 12, 2009 5:54 pm

that sounds so good, the carrots and the soup. i am not cooking today. i melted cheese over garlic on toast. i really should not have cheese with this cold...tomatoes would have been good on it and avocado. and red onion. hmm. and sunflower sprouts. but i just had cheese and garlic.

thank you for this thread!
<p>The next message you need is always right where you are.</p>
<p>&ndash;Ram Dass</p>
Nightbloom

Postby babblefish » Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Spicy Scramble, lazy style:

Two eggs, frying pan with melted butter. I like to let the eggs sit for a minute so that the whites cook independent of the yolk (I like having the two flavors). Scramble. Add a few heaping spoonfuls of salsa. Toss two tortillas ('bubble' sides together) into microwave for one minute (or heat in a hot skillet for two minutes). Put eggs on the plate and you're done.

I really like the idea of a food thread. I want to eat better but I am just not a foodie and need ideas. Keep em coming!
babblefish

Postby incredulity » Jan 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Peanut butter - banana smoothie with soy milk.

Freeze two whole bananas. Let thaw for 5-10 minutes. Cut the bananas in half, then quarter them, length wise, then peel. Put them in a blender with a tablespoon or so of peanut butter, add about a cup or so of soymilk and blend away!
Last edited by incredulity on Oct 15, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
incredulity

Postby strangedoll » Jan 12, 2009 11:02 pm

I make that exact smoothie! Its my breakfast smoothie. yay protein!

my favorite dessert smoothie is: grape juice, frozen strawberries and peaches and some sparkling water or a little bit of sherbet.

------
I love salads but don't love all that chopping just for one serving. so I like to chop a couple of tomatoes, cukes, mushrooms, colored peppers etc and put them in tupperware with a little bit of vinegar/oil/fresh herbs. Then when I want a salad, I just put the spinach/lettuce on a plate and dump some marinated veggies on top. The vinegar seems to stop the veggies from drying out or rotting over the next few days.
strangedoll

Postby sandpiper » Jan 13, 2009 11:16 am

oh wow! I love chicken tortilla soup, but I've never made it. I'm amazed at how easy this recipe is! hurray for delicious food that's easy to make.

and I forgot about sunflower sprouts... mmmm.... i love those.

peanut butter banana smoothies... I used to make something like that foreverago... except I would use chocolate soy milk for a chocolate peanut butter version...,

I love the simplicity of the egg tortillas, and salad making ideas... I hate chopping vegetables for a single salad serving too...

I can't wait to come back to this thread and see what others share... and I want to share some of my favorites...

so far today I've started out my day with some plain yogurt with granola for breakfast.
sandpiper

Postby Nightbloom » Jan 13, 2009 6:02 pm

i am back to nuts again and kefir. oh and a cookie. i need some salad maybe.

i just wanted to say...on the eggs, i do that too sort of. but what is also good is to break up the tortilla and scramble it in with the eggs. it gives it a really great taste and texture. oh and if you add half of a half of an eggshell of milk to any kind of scrambled eggs per egg used, then you will get some nice fluffy eggs. my grandma taught me that one.

here's something simple i learned from a friend. i want to make it. oyster mushrooms and carrots. well i use hot sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. it compliments the oyster mushrooms really nicely. then add tamari. of course garlic is always good too. have it with rice. i wonder if soy would be good in it for protein. i like this one done simply tho, to get the full flavor of the mushrooms. oh it is good with japanese noodles too. ahh i need to cook again someday.

oh i also miss the hare krisna cookbook. they had a really good veggie curry in it. they used sour cream tho which i switched to plain yogurt, a very nice creamy curry. i need that recipe again.
<p>&ndash;Ram Dass</p>
Nightbloom

Postby strangedoll » Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Ramen Noodle Surprise!

Because ramen noodles are cheap and only take a few minutes to cook, they are a staple at my house. Sure, I'll eat them plain. But it's also nice to doctor them up.

My Usual:

boil water, drop in frozen pea pods, wait for water to boil again
add ramen, let pea pods and ramen cook for a bit
at the end, drop in a couple of eggs. i like to keep the egg yellow soft, so I don't keep them in there very long.

gently strain into a bowl. break the egg yolk and use that and the ramen spices or some teriyaki sauce to create a thicker protein rich sauce.

and if we happen to have them, I'll also drop frozen shrimp in before the egg.
strangedoll

Postby shoetongues-lungs » Jan 16, 2009 5:20 am

yumm this is making me hungry. i made scrambled eggs today too. the newspaper food/cooking section told me if you cooked them for a really long time over a really low heat and stir constantly they get really fluffy and creamy. it was so true. very good eggs.

this winter i've been making a lot of oatmeal and a lot of bean soup.
shoetongues-lungs

Postby astra » Jan 16, 2009 9:39 pm

spaghetti sauce, quick-ish version(45 min - 2 hrs)

combine 1 jar commercial sauce with 1 can tomato paste and a cup or two of water in large saucepan/pot and put on to simmer. if you have bay leaves add one or two.

in large frying pan brown 1-1.5 lbs ground beef or sausage or venison or meat substitute or whatever, low-med heat. season with a clove or two of garlic, salt, black pepper, dash of brown sugar or honey, couple shakes of vinegar (balsamic or whatever), couple shakes of worcestershire if you have it, then add to sauce leaving grease in pan.

thickly slice 12 ounces portabella or baby bella shrooms and toss into already hot pan. add seasonings as above (other than garlic) and a bit of red wine or red wine sauce if avail. brown and add to sauce.

add one sliced green pepper to pan, adding olive oil as necessary (continue throughout recipe). pan should still be spiced but add what you like, cook, add to sauce.

same deal with 1 sweet onion, but probably time to lay off of sweetening/browning ingredients (pan should contain mostly olive oil at this point), add to sauce.

lower heat on frying pan slightly and add chopped garlic (to taste - i use 7-10 cloves). add a few tablespoons of butter. add chopped fresh basil and even oregano if possible. sage and thyme are also nice. or simply add pre-ground spices. saute until some of garlic is tan and add all contents (including oil) to sauce.

sauce can be eaten immediately, but better to wait and let simmer awhile. add red wine, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and spices (all to taste) if desired.
slide.
astra

Postby saudade e beleza » Jan 17, 2009 9:46 pm

oh, yay! i'm so glad inel suggested i come by and get in on this thread! i LOVE cooking, and feeding people, and sharing my recipes, and collecting new ones!

one i've been craving that i want to make again soon:

moroccan stew with couscous
about 8-10 servings

heat 4 tb oil in heavy-bottomed medium soup pot. add and saute:

(all cut in about 1-inch chunks, unless otherwise noted)
4 yellow onions
1 head garlic, cloves peeled but left whole
2 sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, orange...)
4 good-sized carrots
2 small sweet potatoes - seed and peel before chopping
1-3 acorn squash or butternut squash (or a combination) - seed and peel before chopping

after veggies have started to soften, add a 28-oz can diced tomatoes, with the juice, 2 cups bouillon or stock, 1 cup golden raisins or other dried fruit (dried cranberries are actually my favorite), 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons turmeric, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder, 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads.

bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.

meanwhile, bring 6 cups water, 4 tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. add 3 cups israeli couscous (or your preference), and cook to desired tenderness.

while couscous is cooking, cut 1 lb extra-firm tofu (drained and pressed) into 1-inch chunks. heat 2 tablespoons oil and fry the tofu chunks to help them retain their shape. stir into stew. if you're not into tofu, you can leave this out, replace it with tempeh, or saute any meat you'd like to use instead.

serve stew over couscous, topped with toasted chopped or sliced almonds.
<p>~maka</p>
saudade e beleza

Postby Nightbloom » Jan 19, 2009 3:37 am

cat that sounds so good. i wish i could go eat at your house...

spaghetti sauce looks good too astra.

and that's a great ramen recipe strangedoll. i often end up eating ramen...and nice to spice it up.

we should do an icarus recipe book as a fundraiser like those churches in the midwest do, they make some money...well my grandma's church did anyways...

i want to make latkes still. i don't have a lot of strength or energy tho so i appreciate the ramen post actually a lot. the easier, the better right now. well maybe if we did a cook book we could have a section for when one can't cook a lot, simple things one can do, and then a more complex section for other moods or abilities...

i miss baking bread. i got some yeast when i thought i was getting a little better but i have gotten bad lately. just too weak to do stuff.
<p>&ndash;Ram Dass</p>
Nightbloom

Postby Opheliac » Jan 19, 2009 12:40 pm

I want venison now, thanks Astra. Too bad you can't get game so easily, I like it better than regular meat.
Opheliac

Postby Inel » Jan 20, 2009 12:43 am

i love this thread!

mmmmmmmmmmmm!

nancy, my late night snack just made me think of you and the latkes (which i am very fond of as well). recently a friend shared this with me and i had no idea (where have i been? does everybody know this?)...

Fried Shredded Wheat (the cereal/no frosting)

hydrate little wheat bricks with a very small amount of water until the shreddies all stick together.

fry in pan coated in oil until crispy yum

(optional)
salt
butter

use topping of your choice/sweet or savory. tonight i did butter/sour cream and applesauce and got the latka-like experience quickly and with tons of fiber...woohoo!
Inel

Postby Opheliac » Jan 20, 2009 12:45 am

Inel wrote:Fried Shredded Wheat (the cereal/no frosting)

hydrate little wheat bricks with a very small amount of water until the shreddies all stick together.

fry in pan coated in oil until crispy yum

This sounds like it could also be a casserole and salad topping.
Opheliac

Postby Inel » Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

Oh yeah, Opheliac!!!
Venison Casserole!

i prefer wild meat too. used to be strict vegetarian until i was really poor and living off grid. it was road kill moose that turned me back and then i'd barter with hunters all the time. (turns out my brain needs lots of protein)

also a fan of the mighty casserole. bring on the casserole recipes!!!

i have a date with a friend to make cat's Moroccan Stew...can't wait!

right now i'm too freaked out by the world to go grocery shopping (and it's been a long while) so i'm gonna vow to dig through all the flotsam food and strange things in the freezer (group household scary fridge) and see how long i can go without having to go score food.
Inel

Postby strangedoll » Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am

oh I've gotta try out that shredded wheat! I wonder if I can fry Cheerios? I hate too many cheerios yesterday and my mouth has ouchie bumps on the roof now. I don't remember cereal HURTING so much when I was a kid. Do our mouths get more tender when we age? captain crunch does me in too. that stuff will rip the gums open!

I'm trying out Canned Chicken for the first time today. I mean, I may have had it before but I've never purchased it or prepared it before. It just seemed weird. But Canned Tuna isn't weird. And I'm not in a place where I'm really cooking, so anyway. Canned Chicken plus Mayo plus a couple squirts of tomato bacon salad dressing and mixed with some shredded cheese on hot dog buns is surprisingly good.

And the kitties really like it when I strain tuna/chicken juice out of the can and save it for them. snacks I can enjoy with my cats are bonus.

Oh! I tried out another "new product" recently too. Hydroponic Lettuce that is still alive and has a bit of soil in the container. My issue with lettuce is that I'm generally the only one that eats it and I find that the lettuce in a bag is often kinda risky to buy, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's already limp/rusty, but either way within a few days it gets really gross. So this hydroponic lettuce stays crisp the whole time! It was about $3 which is about the same as the bags of lettuce, not bad.
strangedoll

Postby sandpiper » Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm

strangedoll wrote:I wonder if I can fry Cheerios?

OMG this made me laugh so hard when I read it!

I don't know about fried Cheerios, but I bet fried shredded wheat would taste good with melted butter and syrup or honey too... what other cereal product could we hydrate and fry, I wonder...

yeah, lately I've been a minimalist cook ... did a split second in-out shazam! through the grocery store the other night cos I thought I'd get snowed in my house with no food. But my meals for me have been like... peanut butter and bananas in toasted whole wheat pitas... egg salad in toasted whole wheat pitas.... tuna salad in toasted whole wheat pitas...

which reminds me! I did save some of the tuna juice out of the can for my kitties... now where did I put it?!
sandpiper

Postby fightforroses » Jan 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Okay, here's something I made at my parents' house for dinner with them before I went back to campus:
-Get a big pan and pour in oil and saute six garlic cloves (cut into big chunks) for three or so minutes. Flame not too high, stir often to keep the garlic from burning.
-While that's sauteeing, microwave for 1 minute a cup of water with a teaspoon of this stuff called Better Than Bouillon. Stir it so it dissolves, and mix it with a cup of soymilk and a tablespoon of cornstarch. That's your sauce.
-After your garlic's been sauteeing for a few minutes, take a big bundle of kale, washed and cut up, and throw it in with the garlic and cook for 6 minutes.
-Then add your sauce and a can of black beans and cook for 20 minutes with a cover on your pan, stirring occasionally.

Good stuff.
Real Me unavailable due to bullying and harassment.
Equidancers, ESQ's (Attorney, TX) rape fantasies about me available at
https://bit.ly/2CLCTmm ,
https://bit.ly/2SdBu1u ,
https://bit.ly/2DCs5Zq ,
https://bit.ly/2S8BiAM ,
https://pastebin.com/8T9XjYxb and
https://pastebin.com/cEVunhDx
fightforroses

Postby Nightbloom » Jan 22, 2009 5:35 pm

i love kale, that sounds really good. i miss having a vegetable garden.

well i do rice and veggie casserole sometimes....

just brown rice and carrots, broccoli, garlic, onion, spinach, cauliflower and maybe zucchini (or whatever veggies you want really), and steam those first, then add in cream cheese and cheddar, and bread crumbs, and mix together, throw in pan and bake at about 375 maybe...i am not sure for how long, but it is good. oh salt and pepper to taste, maybe some cayenne.

i know i am a cheese freak, it could be done with soy cheese probably.

oh yeah i meant to say parmisan too. that is good in it too, how do you spell that?

oh yeah and grease the pan, with canoleo or butter if you like butter
<p>&ndash;Ram Dass</p>
Nightbloom

Next

Return to Food and Health