It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Weightloss + caffeine and other stuff (blood sugar levels)

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Weightloss + caffeine and other stuff (blood sugar levels)

Postby yellowrose » Mar 16, 2011 9:42 pm

So have been doing this diet for the last three days. Only its not a diet. Its a weight loss programme.

It is written by the hypnotist Paul McKenna. Basically you can eat whatever you want, providing you eat consciously i.e. chew every mouthful and be aware of what you are eating and you STOP when you are full. So for example the other day I went to a fusion restuarant and ordered noodles but I only ate about 4 mouthfuls because I felt full and I took the rest home in a doggy bag.

I think it is about listening to your body. Realising when you are actually not hungry, just dehydrated. Working out how certain foods make you feel.

So during the first few days I took the 'eat what you want' to heart and had a sweet muffin for breakfast everyday. Now I am feeling a bit sick and queasy from the fats and so in the next few days I am going to eat a lot of porridge, fruit and fresh vegetables. I am also going to drink a lot of water.

I am also kind of concerned about what my high caffeine intake is doing to my hydration levels and also my blood sugar levels. I am sure coffee and tea is making me MORE hungry but then I also feel that my risperdal affects my blood sugar levels too.

If anything I feel fatter today but I think also more than anything my body is craving exercise.

L
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Re: Weightloss + caffeine and other stuff (blood sugar level

Postby yellowrose » Mar 16, 2011 10:06 pm

God I am thirsty today. I am drinking water constantly...
yellowrose

Postby equidancers » Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Well I know I can use all the support possible. My body is also craving exercise. And it is craving proper nutrients. And I have been feeding it neither. Right now I am yuck. My diet and exercise, or lack thereof, are directly related to my well being. So you'd think that, knowing this, I would always stay on top of it. Sadly that is not the case.

It is time again though! I refuse to clothe my adult body's horizontal growth! I like having the fine motor muscle control that is only possible when I am in excellent shape.

So if you want support, I am here. I cannot wait any longer.

This is one of the areas sorely neglected in research- the impact of nutrition and exercise on just about everything. Anyway I am tired of feeling and looking yuck. And I miss the freedom of being able to just ruuuuuuuuuuuun.
equidancers

Postby yellowrose » Mar 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks equidancers. I think from tommorow I am going to just eat fresh food i.e. fresh fruit and vegetables maybe with a bit of porridge, rice and soya. Sort of vegan and low GI.

I am going to cut out the caffeine too

Oh yeah and keep doing my regular walks, maybe go for a swim.

(I realised today my risperidone makes me walk with my hands sticking out)

L
yellowrose

Postby AlwaysOnSlightlyOff » Mar 17, 2011 5:31 am

If your nerve, deny you -
go above your nerve
~ Emily Dickinson
AlwaysOnSlightlyOff

Postby yellowrose » Mar 17, 2011 9:45 am

I am eating (fairly) healthily today. So far have drunk only water.

Had a bowl of porridge for breakfast with maple syrup

Then had a vegetarian sausage in a pitta with Tzatziki, cucumber and tomato (yum)

Probably have rice, vegetables and soy mince for tea but gonna eat lots of fruit through the day.

L
yellowrose

Postby azul » Apr 14, 2011 1:38 am

good luck, i've always found caffeine hell to quit but it's true that the most important thing in regards to eating/ mental health and entire health really, is making it so you can listen to your body in the first place and caffeine definitely gets in the way of that, with what it does to your energy.

whenever i have sugar, coffee, or any other stimulant, first i get a high, then i keep redosing in larger quantities to maintain the high as a base state, meanwhile fucking up my blood sugar and circadian rhythms so that after a while i get really cranky if im not sugared enough, cant move around in the morning without feeling groggy and having a huge headache, plus my appetite gets out of control so that ill go a long time without noticing im hungry and then suddenly getting starving, and only being satisfied by simple carbs.
more catch-22 signs that these wreak havoc are that - i've found that the energy they give me, comparable to hypomania in certain amounts, changes the types of thoughts and emotions i have so much that i feel like a different person, almost naked when i try to quit. and for me, quitting coffee in particular is like how people have described heroin withdrawal to me.

for people who have a hard time quitting they have all those powders where it's mixed with chicory, or there's something called yannoh, i'm not sure what it's made of but it gives you some energy... and of course green and even black tea is gentler to some extent.

each person should eat whatever makes them feel good, but since you said you're doing this to lose weight,
i think it's worth mentioning that i and people ive lived with have noticed that bread and any non-whole grains also are somewhat addictive, make you want to eat more bread, and you can keep eating as long as you're enjoying it even though you may be full. contrast with foods like mangos, eggplants, avocados, etc that are just as rich (once bread is out of your system) but with those theres usually a clear point when you feel youve had enough.
if you dont believe me, then try eliminating grains for two days (have couscous or quinoa or polenta if its too hard) and by the second day youll notice that your face and stomach look more defined. if you wait long enough that youre not craving them and then you try it, then you can feel if it really does you well or not.
azul

Postby chorn » Apr 14, 2011 9:32 am

lower the coffee intake

vegetarian sausage

AWESOME!!
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

If I rot, I want to rot well and enjoy the small bits of life that are pleasant.

a soft denial covers the brazen underpinning of their coarse speech and ignorant ways.......]
chorn

Return to Food and Health