It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Last edited by cloud antlers on Feb 17, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloud antlers

Re: Mental Wellness Thru (a Raw Food) Diet

Postby yellowrose » Apr 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Cloud Antlers.

I like healthy food but I also like some unhealthy food. I like super-healthy vegetarian dinners but I also like mass-produced muffins and bottles of energy drinks like lucozade.

I see it as not 'getting rid' of anything but instead embracing and adding more healthy stuff to your diet.

My staples are potatoes and rice. My partner won't eat pasta.

I tend to buy things like vegetarian burgers or fishcakes or just have tuna out of a tin with mayonnaise and a potato combined with some sprouting broccoli, kale or spinach. Green stuff doesn't have to be that expensive its just finding things to combine it with. Soya protein stir fried with fresh veg and some spices with rice and soy sauce makes a nice meal.
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Apr 03, 2011 2:17 pm

also rice with soy sauce is quite good and then you can just add whatever veg you can get to that!
yellowrose

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Last edited by cloud antlers on Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloud antlers

Postby yellowrose » Apr 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Cool Cloud Antlers. I would say just buy some carrots and green veg and make youself some raw-veg sushi. Yeah just buy raw vegetables and fruits.
yellowrose

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm

cloud antlers

Postby silverelf » Apr 03, 2011 5:27 pm

I've eaten raw off and on for periods of time.

Some things to note:

- raw foodists (tend to) be some of the puritanical diet evangelists out there. I believe a raw food diet can be tremendously healthy but can also really feed into fucked up ideas around purity, body image, cleanliness, holier-than-thou type attitudes, etc. Just something to be aware of. Spend enough time poking around on raw websites and you will run into it sooner rather than later.

- Invest a good blender and/or a juicer, for real. It is really difficult to get enough calories if you have to eat everything. smoothies, juices, pates, etc are great.

- Listen to your own body more than other's advice. Eating raw can be really ungrounding for some folks. In both traditional chinese and ayurvedic terms, eating all raw is actually not all that "gentle", it is really tough! Feeling bad doesn't always mean a "cleansing reaction" or "healing crisis", it can actually just mean feeling bad!

- Try not to play the all-or-none game. Good way to start eating raw is eat raw during the day but then eat a cooked dinner. Or eat raw one meal a day. Or only have raw snacks and work from there.

- I think an all raw diet is especially useful for healing and for figuring out food allergies, so I would definitely support trying to get there and stay there for a couple weeks. I, personally, have not found it to be healthy for me long term and I don't actually know many people who have. I do think doing it in late spring and summer is the best time.

It is much more expensive than one would think, especially if you are eating all organic. Definitely hit up farmer's markets as much as possible. And be careful with overdoing sugar with really sugary fruits!

Avocados, dates, avocados, nuts, coconut milk, avocados ;) etc are really useful in getting some satiating fats when you just never feel full
Excited to hear about your experiences with it and how changing food changes consciousness....
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 03, 2011 11:34 pm

cloud antlers

Postby chiaroscuro » Apr 04, 2011 3:30 am

About ways to make it more affordable... are there any organic farms near you that might let you do work trade, "glean" leftover crops for cheap/free, or at least buy a reasonably priced CSA ("community supported agriculture") share?

Foraging can be a good way to supplement your diet for free, if you know how to identify edible plants such as berries, greens, mushrooms etc. It's nettle season where I live and I swear I can feel health radiating throughout my body when I eat them, they're like a spring tonic superfood! I always cook my nettles but I know some eat them raw by rolling up the leaves with the stingers on the inside. Some things like fiddleheads should not be eaten raw though.
chiaroscuro

Postby jaklumen » Apr 04, 2011 6:50 am

Last edited by jaklumen on Nov 01, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaklumen

Postby Mancata » Apr 04, 2011 7:33 am

Victoria Everett keeps her schizophrenia at bay eating a very specific kind of raw food. She follows the 811-diet, which is high in fruit and vegetables but low in fat and protein.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Victoria-Everett.html

I'm trying it out and it seems to diminish my voices. According to studies this illness could be linked to grains and dairy.
Mancata

Postby silverelf » Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

yes if you are interested in the grains/dairy connection you could also check out lots of sites about the benefits of paleo/primal eating. In some ways it is seen as the "opposite" of raw foodism -- since you are eating lots of cooked meats, but both diets eliminate grains (though some raw foodists eat some sprouted grains) and it is worth pointing out that your brain is mostly cholesterol.

http://www.wallstreetweather.net/2008/0 ... sterol.htm
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby jaklumen » Apr 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Last edited by jaklumen on Nov 01, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaklumen

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm

cloud antlers

Postby silverelf » Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

handfuls of nuts and seeds my friend.....
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm

cloud antlers

Postby chiaroscuro » Apr 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Baked yams with toasted walnuts... ripe bananas mashed up with cocoa powder, it's like chocolate pudding... grind raw cashews with a little water to make a yummy cream... healthy can be decadent and delicious too.
chiaroscuro

Postby cloud antlers » Apr 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Last edited by cloud antlers on Feb 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloud antlers

Postby Ceilidh » Apr 10, 2011 7:15 am

Wow. What an informative thread! Thank you all for contributing.

silverelf wrote:- Listen to your own body more than other's advice. [...] Feeling bad doesn't always mean a "cleansing reaction" or "healing crisis", it can actually just mean feeling bad!

This has always been my approach to eating (and to much of life)--just listening to my own body. It's really nice to see someone else put forth this "crazy" idea for once! ;-)

~Ceilidh
Ceilidh

Postby aimless » Apr 26, 2011 9:41 pm

some paleo is raw also. have to find a good source of meat - which is tough.
i find my balance is 85% raw. i feel like aiming for 100% purity in anything is dangerous. i also don't have a reliable source of clean meat for raw consumption.
as for kicking sugar or comfort food (i've slipped back into this type of problem recently), i find it's easier to do when you're trying to add more healthy food rather than subtract unhealthy food.
how is this going, cloud antlers?
aimless

Return to Food and Health