It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Help me overhaul my life

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Help me overhaul my life

Postby yellowrose » Apr 07, 2011 5:21 pm

I have just stopped working after a busy 9 hour day doing interviews for a documentary.

I am tired, sluggish, overweight, stock full of additives and preservatives. I feel shit.

I have decided that even though I am busy I have to stop abusing my body. I need to eat healthily every day and exercise as much as I can even if I am busy

I need a new diet
I need a new fitness regime

I NEED TO START NOW!!

I am thinking about becoming officially vegan or vegetarian

any hints of tips?
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Re: Help me overhaul my life

Postby babblefish » Apr 07, 2011 7:56 pm

with a title like "Help me overhaul my life" i REALLY hesitate to comment. too much responsibility.

but i will ask you what have you found so far that resonates with you about changing to a vegitarian/vegan diet?
babblefish

Postby yellowrose » Apr 07, 2011 8:13 pm

yeah sorry probably bad choice of title. I mean overhaul in the aspect of health and well-being

vegetarianism - veganism appeals to me because of the ethical dimension. I dont really like the idea of factory farming and the meat dairy industry but I guess if I was consistent I should apply it to all consumer products I buy like shoes, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and so on.

I also think if I was vegan I could control my weight more.
yellowrose

Postby Capricious » Apr 16, 2011 12:22 pm

A few years ago I returned to being vegetarian after years of eating meat.

The good part is I am healthier and less morally ambiguous about food choices. If soy protein has a soul, I will deal with it in the next life.

An interesting part is that weight management has not changed much. I still have to watch my intake...it is all about protein and portion control combined with exercise for me.

When I switched back, I was hoping to get a bonus of not having to be so mindful about my diet (except for the not eating meat part) but no such luck. I still have to behave. oh well...

I considered vegan, and love eating that way at times...but to be honest it is just to much effort. I travel some and eat on the run a lot. It is hard enough keeping cow and pig out of my quick lunches. I salute those that have made vegan work.

As important for me is a choice to buy organic and locally harvested/produced food whenever I can.

I also feel better about not being part of the whole industrial corporate meat machine thing. I am hardly a zealot, I suck at debates and don't have the attention span to study the global trends of food economics. But I get that there are evil forces at work in food production and that too many people go hungry. I guess I feel like I am doing a little part by paying attention when I shop. Wimpy politics maybe, but that is as far as I can go without obsessing.
Capricious

Postby sybilla » Apr 24, 2011 12:04 am

You mentioned before you have a problem with too many carbs. I'm vegetarian and poor and all I eat is carbs so make sure your careful to replace meat with nuts, beans and veggies and not sugar and bread and pasta.
“If I'm crazy, then it is because I refuse to be crazy in the same way that the world has gone crazy.”
-Peter Maurin (co-founder of the catholic worker movement)
sybilla

Postby Corvus » Apr 24, 2011 1:43 am

I'm vegan about 5 years now and man is it worth it. It takes some practice and getting used to but my hormones, my mental ups and downs, my physical health, it's all less extreme now. I still have mental issues but I am convinced they are lessened by my diet. Honestly, I don't even eat that well vegan. It is possible to be an overweight unhealthy vegan. Once ya realize (USA) oreos and veg ice cream and veg baked goods and all that exist it's easy to fall off the healthy food wagon.

I try to start off my day witha giant green smoothie every morning so I at least get the good stuff in before the potato chips.

And I also believe there is an ethical benefit to not consuming dead bodies. Or wearing them. And having a diet that comes directly from the source- plants- rather than feeding pounds and pounds of plants to an animal then eating them. And a diet that requires less pollution and waste and disease and deforestation. Or whatever. That was my main reason for doing it and everything else came secondary. If you need any vegan tips I am totally cool with answering questions. Depending on whether or not you live in the states like me, that will determine how much I can help you with products.

Best of luck to you!
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Jung
Corvus

Postby yellowrose » Apr 24, 2011 8:13 am

It wasn't really a vegan week (probably vegetarian) but last week I tried to eat healthy.

At my best last week I had cut out bread. I was having a smoothie for breakfast, a green salad for lunch and then a stir fry for tea.

The problem with me is that I get the munchies between 10.00 pm and 2.00 am and I will eat like 2 bowls of cereal followed by two more glasses of smoothie.

Its weird because during the day I can control my cravings quite well.

My favourite poet Benjamin Zephaniah is vegan. I think probably it is the way to go but its not decided in my mind yet.
yellowrose

Postby Corvus » Apr 25, 2011 1:33 pm

You can eat vegan cereal with soymilk from 10am to 2am all you want ha ha ha
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Jung
Corvus

Return to Food and Health