It is currently Sep 18, 2019 5:05 am

Started new diet

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Started new diet

Postby yellowrose » Apr 19, 2011 6:29 pm

I started a new diet this week. I had been drinking too many energy drinks and eating too many crisps and stuff.

A typical day on my new diet was: -

muesli and green tea

wholemeal bread and peanut butter

stir fry with pak choi and noodles

oranges, apple and banana

The only thing was that when it got late at night I got VERY hungry again and had to eat more bread and cereal.

Today I decided to go back to my diet

I had

1) muesli
2) wholemeal bread with peanut hutter 2 slices

At the shop I bought some delicious fresh baked bread and when I got home I ate 3 slices of the bread a bowl of cereal and 4 biscuits. I then had my tea which was potato, veggie burger and cabbage.

My diet on paper looked really healthy but it is something about my metabolism or blood sugar level that makes me
graze on carbs.

Its like I cut out the fresh orange juice so then I go onto energy drinks. Then I cut out energy drinks and I start eating bread.

I dont know if its the risperidone or the lithium but I just seem to get these massive cravings for carbs.

hhhhhmmmmmph.
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Re: Started new diet

Postby PrincessGreen3 » Apr 19, 2011 8:53 pm

hi

I know one thing for sure that Resperidone makes a person feel hungry all the time. I had cravings for all kinds of unhealthy foods which resulted in me having weight gain but ever since the Resperidone has stopped my weight gain is little bit easier to manage and the cravings are not so bad and I am also eating smaller portions. I think it is all about portions and eating healthy foods and wise choices when doing grocery shopping.

My Meal

Breakfast
1 Omega Egg boiled
1 Bagel with Cream Cheese and Raspberry Jam
A glass of fruit smoothie or Banana Smoothie

Lunch
Salad
Granola Bar

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Salad
Tofu
Apple
Prunes
Orange Juice

PrincessGreen3
PrincessGreen3

Postby AlwaysOnSlightlyOff » Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey yellowrose,

Craving carbs can be related to sugar addiction... If you're interested, you can google 'dr frank lipman sugar addiction' -- he's a great holistic doctor who writes about this a fair bit.

Otherwise, if you're finding you're still hungry at the end of the day it may come down to needing more protein... incorporating things like more eggs, kidney beans (any kind of bean.. combine them with brown rice and you've got a great source of protein), tofu, pasta made from brown rice (rather than wheat) and rolled oats can work really well; at least I've found that they do.

good luck! hope it's going well...
If your nerve, deny you -
go above your nerve
~ Emily Dickinson
AlwaysOnSlightlyOff

Postby yellowrose » Apr 20, 2011 7:08 am

Hi

I looked at that Dr Lipman site. I decided to have a smoothie for breakfast this morning. I got 2 litre bottles for £3 with no added sugar.

I also got some falafel bites to snack on in order to give me a bit more protein and a mixed bean salad.

I think the diet is working over all. I feel much better for cutting right back on caffeine. Its just the cravings I need to sort out.

L
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Apr 20, 2011 10:01 am

Its 15:00. Just had a tuna salad and am feeling really full. Gonna have a cup of herbal tea.
yellowrose

Postby Starhive » Apr 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi YR, it could be that feeling hungry means that you are not getting enough protien, especially the omega 3 kind. You could try adding eggs, nuts and fish- I've found that this helps a lot with sugar cravings.
Starhive

Postby jfinguy » Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I really need to get in shape more than lose weight but I started cutting back on carbs. I didn't realize how much I eat; bread, rice, pasta, tortillas, chips, potatoes. Eating less of these has lead to an increase in energy. But even at lunch people ask me how to take my company public with an IPO or public shell.
jfinguy

Postby yellowrose » Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm

take your company public?

I dunno, I totally give up with the diet. This afternoon I have had a pre-packaged sandwich from the shop, a bag of crisps and two slices of toast. I just feel totally despondent about losing weight after being on weightwatchers for 5 weeks with no change.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

gonna join a weightwatchers meeting.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Oct 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Tried to start low GL diet but found sugar cravings too intense to handle to gave in and ate a lot of carbs.

I do intend to stick to the low GL diet in the next week or two. I am going to try doing it with the help of some supplements like trytophan, tyrosine and vitamin C.

Its really tought to get through the wall of cravings but If I manage it for a week I might treat myself to that extremely cool and rare imported Japanese architecture book I've had my eye on for a while.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Nov 08, 2011 7:05 pm

several months on and I am still stuck in the same position. I know what is healthy for me:

wholegrains, protein, fresh fruit and vegetables avoid too much saturated fat, trans fats and refined sugars. I just find that I can't stick to any low GL or low sugar diet at all. I get really ansty and crave sugary stuff or crisps and chocolate or eat loads of bread or flapjacks. I am pretty tired of dealing with this now. I started taking Chromium for a while to curb my sugar cravings but the tablets started making me have atremor so I stopped.

I get really really bored eating just vegetables and protein. I find it bloody impossible not to have a slice of toast then thats the thin end of the wedge and soon I am eating the whole loaf.

I start a healthy eating plan, then I get bored because there is not enough variety or like tonight I couldnt be bothered going to the supermarket to get healthy food so I just got a pizza from the corner shop.
yellowrose

Return to Food and Health