It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Hummus?

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Hummus?

Postby Opheliac » Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Got any hummus recipes to share? I don't have the patience for cooking my own chickpeas, so canned is fine, and I have a blender, not a food processor. It's hella expensive and I go through a lot of it, I figure maybe I should try making it.
Opheliac

Re: Hummus?

Postby AlwaysOnSlightlyOff » Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

600 grams canned chickpeas
3 garlic cloves, crushed
100ml olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
juice of one lemon

place everything in a food processor/blender, combine. Add 0.25 cup of water and process until smooth.

It's the bomb :-)
If your nerve, deny you -
go above your nerve
~ Emily Dickinson
AlwaysOnSlightlyOff

Postby Opheliac » Jun 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Are there any substitutes for tahini? I seem to have trouble finding it. Could I make it?
Opheliac

Postby AlwaysOnSlightlyOff » Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

hey again- have you tried the healthfood section? It's where I find it (although I'm in Australia so I know these things will differ). It might be fiddly to make (you'd need a mortar and pestle I guess for mashing sesame seeds). I've heard of people substituting in a mixture of peanut butter and sesame oil instead of tahini.
If your nerve, deny you -
go above your nerve
~ Emily Dickinson
AlwaysOnSlightlyOff

Postby yellowrose » Jun 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I love hummus. It reminds me of my vegan bf
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby Opheliac » Jun 22, 2011 10:50 am

I'll check the health food stores around here, and hopefully find something that isn't outrageously priced. I was hoping tahini was something that could be made, I do have some Asian stores nearby that have sesame seeds and oil.

Thanks for the recipe though, it will help me with my shopping list. I'd probably add extra garlic and either dried red chilie or fresh jalapeno for my personal taste.
Opheliac

Postby herehere » Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

Don't make your own hummus, buy sabra israeli hummus, best there is.
herehere

Postby Opheliac » Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am

Hummus is expensive to buy in the quantities that I've been eating it, hence I want to learn how to make it. I also have a slight preference for Greek hummus, which is hard to find.
Opheliac

Postby astra » Jun 22, 2011 6:29 pm

tahini is the expensive ingredient but i don't think there's a suitable replacement. sesame oil ain't cheap either.
slide.
astra

Postby FLAMING ATTACK B0T » Jun 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Tahini isn't that expensive if you have a bulk store nearby, it's the stuff that comes in jars with a brand name which is expensive. Besides, you don't need that much of it to make hummus. I dunno, food is really expensive where I live, especially things like fresh produce, so bulk food seems like a pretty good deal by comparison. Maybe I have a different perspective on that.

You can also make hummus with peanut butter. Lemon juice doesn't mix well with it though, so leave that out. Use red wine vinegar instead if you have that handy, for some acidity. Well, ok, it's not proper hummus but it's pretty good.
https://11700.dreamwidth.org/
FLAMING ATTACK B0T

Postby chiaroscuro » Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm

I've made hummus with ground-up sesame seeds instead of tahini, it wasn't so great... I think tahini is made with seeds that are hulled (through soaking?) and then toasted, I didn't do either of those steps and the toasty flavor is pretty key. It's also difficult to get the texture nice and smooth. Better to just buy tahini, if you live in an urban area it's definitely available somewhere, and a jar will last forever so it's worth investing in.

Hummus is traditionally middle eastern AFAIK, not really sure how to make it "Greek" other than to maybe add some kalamata olives? What is it you like about the style you like? Texture? Tartness? Hummus is so adaptable and forgiving (Sabra's chipotle hummus is a great example) -- I've even added nori to it (flavor was somewhat reminiscent of tuna salad, which sounds pretty weird but I liked it).

Also, it's possible to make a similar spread without any tahini at all... when I used to work at a fancy little Italian restaurant (supposedly "authentic" because the owners were from Italy) we served this spread made with nothing other than chickpeas, roasted garlic olive oil, and salt. It had a thicker consistency than hummus, a lighter color, and a simpler, more earthy flavor profile. It was served in a dish of the oil sprinkled with red pepper flakes, to be eaten with slices of fresh Italian bread. I was skeptical at first because I'm a big fan of lemon and tahini but I quickly got hooked on the stuff.
chiaroscuro

Postby Opheliac » Jun 25, 2011 5:30 pm

The Greek hummus I've had is very similar to typical hummus, but with the addition of parsley, oregano and a bit of crushed olives. Like this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rach ... index.html.

I wonder if Trader Joe's had tahini? I need to go there anyway for some other things so I will check.

The hummus-like spread you described, chiaroscuro sounds intriguing. I should start collecting ideas for other bean-based dips and spreads too. It's too hot to cook right now, easier to just get canned beans and make things with them to eat with bread.
Opheliac

Postby astra » Jun 25, 2011 7:05 pm

mm speaking of italians and spreads for breads, olive muffaletta is kind of the bomb. here's one recipe:

1/2 cup black olives, pitted and drained
1/2 cup green olives, salad-type
2 tablespoons capers
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, approx
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Chop the olives, garlic. Add olive oil until mixture just begins to loosen up. Transfer to a bowl and stir in herbs, capers, and pepper. Store in the fridge

i would use way more garlic. and a touch of balsalmic or red wine vinegar.

and yeah i'm pretty sure t joe's has tahini.
slide.
astra

Return to Food and Health