It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Urgent withdrawal from sugar and caffeine

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Urgent withdrawal from sugar and caffeine

Postby yellowrose » Mar 04, 2012 8:10 am

Hi,

I am putting on weight at dramatic speed. I read an article in the newspaper about food yesterday and it occurred to me that with certain substances I am locked into an arms race of weight gain.

I am addicted to sugar, caffeiene and anti-psychotics, each of which increase the highs and crashes in my blood sugar and eventually increase the cravings. I need to break the cycle quickly and effectively.

I want to cut out all caffeine and dramatically reduce sugar. I dont think I can do much about the anti-psychotic at the moment, especially since my brothers death.

You might be thinking 'your brother has just died why are you embarking on this'. Its just because I am scared about how fast Iam gaining weight and I cant wait 2 weeks till the funeral is out of the way.

I am not sure how to cut back heavily on sugar and caffeine because peviously I have never lasted a day cutting back on this stuff. My doctor (who I complained about) said i should taper down on sugar but how do you do the measurements? Its really tough.

Oh yeah I am thinking about eating more whole foods, more low GI food and maybe even more vegan food.

Please help me.

Liam
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Re: Urgent withdrawal from sugar and caffeine

Postby nature » Mar 04, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Liam,

I was listening to someone on the radio yesterday talking about how the internet is such an isolating phenomenon and I thought "wow, what planet do you live on / websites do you hang around?". I don't know you and yet I think of you every day and hope that you are managing okay.

The anti-psychotics are horrible when it comes to sugar and appetite for me. I took very small doses of seroquel for a bit last fall and packed on 15 pounds in a matter of a few weeks. On major doses of stelazine at 19 my weight ballooned. I don't worry about my caffeine intake ... but it's only about 2 -3 cups of coffee a day, and no colas or anything. Here is what I have learned though I don't know if anything will help.

1) Maybe start with one ... sugar?

2) Can you drink black coffee, no dairy, nothing? I find that while my palette doesn't like it as much, my body significantly prefers it and seems to go into "appetite satiated" mode after just black coffee where as coffee with milk and sugar has the opposite effect.

3) In both cases of drug induced weight gain I lost it largely by ramping up on the veges. E.g. whole plates of steamed spinach and carrots for a meal. Spinach is actually relatively high in protein but I think the chief idea for me was to get more nutrients and a feeling of fullness with minimum calories. Also lots of beans rather than pasta or potatoes.

4) Have you tried Stevia as a natural sugar substitute? I have read that it stabilizes blood glucose but do not know if this is true. It certainly is not as calorific.

5) Natural psyllium can also be used to provide a feeling of fullness with minimal calorie intake.

6) Gymnema is a herb that if brewed in a tea and drunk will completely remove your inability to taste sweet things for at least 45 minutes (I forget how long ... it's been a while since I used it). It's used in Ayurvedic medicine and I think is also supposed to stabilize blood sugar levels.

7) Lastly, when all else fails for me, I weigh my food. This sounds tedious, frustrating and ineffectual but I used a spreadsheet that kept track of my calorie intake and broke it down according to carbs, proteins, fat etc and I was amazed at how much easier it made it for me to make good choices around my eating. This in turn helped my mood tremendously. And I managed to lose 25 pounds (this was in between antipsychotics). The great thing about this method is that you can eat anything you wish, you just do so in moderation ... or make up for it by eating less of other things, less the next day etc.

Hope that helps.

Take good care.
blog at tenderparts.ca
nature

Postby triciafishDE » Mar 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Do what you got to at the moment.
Antipsychotics cause you to get a sugar addiction and gain weight.
THEY STOP DOPAMINE!!
Your body tries to replenish it with sugar and caffiene....and nicotine.

I'd be more worried about the effects of the drugs than the sugar and weight gain.
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby yellowrose » Mar 04, 2012 7:49 pm

yeh true!
yellowrose

Postby Ceilidh » Mar 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Caffeine and sugar are tough enough: add in the anti-psychotics and you have to have some serious resolve.

I much prefer methods of moderation over going "cold turkey". I don't know what your typical diet is, but if you're eating a lot of refined sugar and low-quality caffeine drinks, maybe cut those out and only go for what is high-quality? For example, I freely admit to drinking several cups of hot green tea per day and having a few pieces of dark chocolate, but the green tea is loose leaf (not Lipton or some other sweetened brand in a bottle) and the dark chocolate only includes "whole" ingredients and very little (if any) sugar.

That's just my silly example. I'm sure you have other things that you eat on a regular basis that you might be able to slightly modify to decrease the amount of caffeine and sugar. For the anti-psychotics, I assume you've already read the Icarus guide (here) to coming off of medications?

Good luck!
Ceilidh
Ceilidh

Postby yellowrose » Mar 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Ceilidh,

Yeah. I guess I am quite volatile when it comes to my diet. I do ingest a lot of caffeine and refined sugars ( I am including here carbs like bread and potatoes).

I know on a morning its better for me to eat oatmeal (we call it porridge in England) but sometimes especially if I am in meetings I will have a croissant and an americano or some other pastry. Its just a craving. Sometimes I even have an energy drink as my first meal of the day.

Often I am not very hungry until Ive been awake for three or four hours but late at nigh I can eat like 5 slices of toast with margerine or some Linda Mccartney sausages made into a sandwhich.

Other times I do eat like 'square meals with protein, vegetables and some carbs but after meals I also get sugary cravings.

Today I had 1 slice of toast with margerine for breakfast. Then I went to the vegan organic supermarket and bought 25 pounds worth of organic veg, spelt bread, and some other stuff. I came home and made a vegetable stew. Before the meal I had some raw carrot with avocado humus and then several hours after the meal I had 2 slices of toast. I consciously decided to stop after 2 slices and I think the fact I had a high quality main meal and had cut back on caffeine during the day made that decision easier.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Just re-read my post about having an energy drink in the morning and thinking 'Nooooo you shouldn't do that!!!' . I think part of this is about being sensible, like plain common-sense. So maybe I can have soft drinks and candy and cake but just not every day and certainly not for breakfast. Stick to the simple rules like mum would have told you.

L
yellowrose

Postby katmold » Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Congratulations on your efforts yellowrose.

Lifestyle changes can be dramatic..
You have my deepest sympathies on your loss. I have lost immediate family members and I know how painful and sorrowful, despite how much they can annoy us, an experience like grief can be.

I needed to drink copious amounts of coffee while I was on Risperdal just to feel like I wasn't going to kill myself. I think Risperdal gave me suicidal tendencies which I was just given another medication for instead of immediately removing the Risperdal.

Once the dose of Risperdal was lowered my energy quickly got better and better, and I have lost some of the weight I gained while on Risperdal. I also quit coffee, but I do like green tea. I feel that green tea isn't harmful because it doesn't cause the dramatic highs and lows of coffee, therefore better for the adrenals, and I never feel like I want to drink more than one or two cups of green tea.

I definitely recommend becoming vegan. I didn't realize how damaged my digestive and nervous system was until I stopped the meat, and as hard as it was, instituted portion control. Meat lowers my vitality and I feel less alive. I eat alot of fresh fruits and veggies and try to go local as often as possible.

I have heard that sugar isn't necessarily harmful for you if eaten in moderate amounts. High fructose corn syrup and sugar alternatives can be very damaging however.
We cannot live without morality, but we cannot define morality objectively – thus we remain eternally
condemned to empty lives of pompous hypocrisy, cynical dominance or pious slavery.
katmold

Postby yellowrose » Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks Katmold,

I definiately feel that my organic, whole-food casserole was delicious and very healthy and made me feel better!

I think the key is to not cut anything out completley!

Ok well thanks for your support it is appreciated!
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Mar 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Had an ok day today. I ate oatmeal for breakfast, soup and fresh bread for lunch. I think I had a banana and some dates. Then for tea I had a curry I made with fresh vegetables, spices, onions, lemon, corriander and yoghurt. It wasnt brilliant but there was enough for two days. I am also trying to keep the house tidier. I am trying to be better at self-care basically. I did have a bunch of peanut M&M's and a bottle of cherry coke but hopefully I can keep that to every now and then.
yellowrose

Postby silverelf » Mar 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I think actually that a period of total sugar and refined carb abstinence can be hugely helpful (or at least it has been for me) to 'reset' the body's natural responses to sugar and also sweetness. Even after a couple weeks most people find things like soda or cake nearly unbearably sweet and things like fruit like a sugar explosion of candy. (I did a year long no sugar, no refined carbs diet for candida) I do think sugar is addictive and HFCS as well. It has only been in the last 50 years when we have had so much sugar added to everything.....

BUT I would also warn that it is an emotional process for sure! It is breaking an addiction like any other. In general I'm a huge fan of moderation, but I have found for me that with physically addictive substances that one is addicted to, a period of cold turkey can allow a different type of moderation or be the only way to go (i.e.; even 10 years after the no sugar year, I still could not force down a whole soda usually, just intensely artificially sweet, and I still ear probably half as much sugar as I did before that year but with cigarettes, even after I quite for a year and tried to go back in moderation I never could, I always ended up smoking 2 packs a day again, so now I have just been quit 100% on them for about 2 1/2 years)

so just saying that, in my experience, quitting sugar completely might be a useful experiment and is possible, but should probably do it when you are feeling emotionally strong!

There is a book called Sugar Blues that is pretty insightful. A little strong and moralistic, but insightful and helpful.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby yellowrose » Mar 07, 2012 10:22 pm

thanks Silver Elf
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Mar 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I tried to cut down on caffeiene but I like English breakfast tea too much. I have about 10 cups a day. I have it in all situations, its an excellent pick me up and very refreshing. I tried to cut down to just 2 cups a day but I couldn't do it.

My cravings for sugar have probably been a bit less but the fact I cant stick to my caffeiene rule makes me doubt I could stick to any rule about sugar either.

I am trying to be more Tao at the moment.

I dunno I give up with this shit I am not gettting anywhere, obseity here I come.
yellowrose

Postby katmold » Mar 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Don't give up yellowrose!

Your metabolism is probably just use to a certain amount of food. It will adjust.
I wonder if there is some sort of retreat you could afford.
Yoga and reading gives me better control.
I've been reading about, horror of all horrors word, (rehabilitation) and unfortunately Synanon style centers do work. So maybe if you no longer had the temptations available?

If you are unaware, Synanon was a treatment facility for narcotics addicts in New York. They were run by ex-addicts and favored a cold turkey approach.

They probably were a little irrational, and there are most likely better alternatives, but the American always has to think of themself as a criminal.
We cannot live without morality, but we cannot define morality objectively – thus we remain eternally
condemned to empty lives of pompous hypocrisy, cynical dominance or pious slavery.
katmold

Postby Raining Frog » Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Very interesting comment Trish,
I always subconsciously thought that antipsychotics could encourage these cravings.
It's something I deal with too and I don't like it especially because I am worried about dental health,
not having big dentist bills and health side effects from fairly heavy caffeine use.
I don't know the best suggestion other than maybe...
you could start by a small decrease from the anti-psychotic, see how that goes,
while following other people's advice about the sugar and caffeine withdrawal, and gradually cut down on sugar and caffiene, maybe try keeping a log of your sugar and caffeine intake every day as you do this, to see how fast you could go down on these substances while not having rebound effects that are not tolerable...
Raining Frog

Return to Food and Health