It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Going off sugar

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Going off sugar

Postby yellowrose » Jun 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Today is my second day off sugar. I am quitting processed sugar; things like energy drinks, fruit juice, chocolate, sweets, cakes, pastries, soups, sauces, cereals.

So far its been ok. The main problem areas for me are sugary drinks, so that is my main focus. I am not cutting out all carbs as it is mainly energy drinks and orange juice which I consume too much.

I havent had too many cravings yet. My strategy if I get a craving is to go lie down in my room for a while

If I manage to last a week at this I am going to buy myself a new book.

If I last a month Im gonna buy myself a Fred Perry shirt.

I also just joined a gym too and hopefully Im gonna go swimming most days.

The aim of all this is to lose a little weight. I am quite hopeful.
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Re: Going off sugar

Postby Corvus » Jun 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I recently cut out fried foods. French fries and sugar are basically my treats as a gluten free vegan. But my body tells me when I need to move on and I got sick a few times eating french fries. Sugar is next on my goals list to cut down. Let us know how it helps!
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Jung
Corvus

Postby yellowrose » Jun 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Corvus,

Its great that you are vegan. Being vegan is something I think about from time to time. I want to make vegan sushi at home.

Im thinking of quitting caffeine too, but one thing at a time right? Actually I find it pretty easy to cut down on caffeine so I am targetting sugar first. One of the things that I know is gonna get me through the sugar famine is knowing I can have a creamy latte (no sugar).

Yeah I will let you know how it goes on here. So far so good, no major cravings or anything.

L
yellowrose

Postby Corvus » Jun 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm currently also attempting to cut down the caffeine. I was on only black tea then got a 9-5 and started drinking coffee again. Trying to get more sleep and drink less coffee and eventually go back to tea. I know caffeine really messes me up but I drink it anyways...
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Jung
Corvus

Postby werehorse » Jun 18, 2012 2:48 pm

I went off all sugar apart from fruit a few years ago. In many ways it was good, but it wasn't the solution I was hoping for. My problems require additional approaches. I'm currently trying to stop taking sugar in my coffee because I was going over the top with it. So far, so good, no real cravings. I hope it continues thus for you. Take care x
werehorse

Postby yellowrose » Jun 19, 2012 10:05 am

Starting to get a few sugar cravings now, gonna have a cup of coffee instead.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Jun 19, 2012 12:10 pm

I've realised I use sugar as a drug to inject drama and excitement into my life, whenever I am feeling down I reach for an energy drink or a large glass of pure orange juice.

The cravings are coming slowly now. I avoided eating the crust of white bread in the bread bin but I think its gonna get harder from now on.

L
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Day 4! I seem to have found it remarkably easy to stay off sugar for four days nearly...

Once ive done a week I get a treat in the form of a new book.

L
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Jun 20, 2012 6:46 pm

starting to feel the lack of sugar physically now. could murder a chocolate bar.
yellowrose

Return to Food and Health