It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Quitting Sugar and Caffeine (Documenting the Process)

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Re: Quitting Sugar and Caffeine (Documenting the Process)

Postby yellowrose » Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm

triciafishDE wrote:Kudos to you for dropping some weight. Sounds like you had a baby. 6lbs 9 oz.

lol :-)
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby Tempulgate » Nov 11, 2016 3:11 pm

yellowrose wrote:I am lying in bed with mild flu like symptoms and anxiety, the result of not getting to sleep until 5.30 this morning. The cause of my insomnia was 4 cups of Nescafe on Sunday (instant coffee) which I ingested after 2 weeks of virtual zero caffeine intake.

I have re-read my blog and i constantly talk about coffee (and also sugar such as coke). I also constantly have bouts of insomnia, high blood pressure and terrible fatigue induced crash periods where i suffer from flu like symptoms. Im convinced the cause of these crashes is my dual addictions to sugar and caffeine. Im sure it also links back to my risperdal which fucks up my body system. I keep trying to get off both caffeine and sugar. Recently ive gotten better at abstaining from both for up to a fortnight at a time but then comes the inevitable hour when i think to myself just one cup of coffee wouldnt hurt or just one chocolate bar, then it becomes three then a full blown addiction again.

The thing is i love coffee especially and if it werent for the high blood pressure which is a silent killer i could almost live with the coffee highs and lows. I love coffee shops even the corporate ones. It seems to represent being intellectual. It has overtones of French, Italian or Austrian culture maybe even Arabic culture. I love it but if I carry on consuming so much coffee im gonna ruin my health. Nevertheless I find it hard to quit for more than a few weeks at a time. I guess I shouldnt cut it out completely but maybe have a cup of decaff at my favourite coffee joint maybe once a week.

I guess the thing to do now is to quit again. Its so hard though but every period of two weeks where I am limiting my sugar and coffee intake is a step in the right direction and is a period of recovery for my body.

Im going to try and replace coffee with a few things like exercise, meditation and really pumping up the volume on my creative endeavours - getting a thrill from creativity or travel. I think a lot of my addictions come from a place of boredom where I am sick of being stuck in the same 4 walls in the same city and need a drug whether sugar or caffeine to give me an exit from my current reality.

Anyway Freakshow said I should try slowing down and listening to my intuition more.

Another pm gone wrong...sheeez...
Tempulgate

Postby solefood » Nov 12, 2016 3:58 am

caffiene is a terrible drug!

absolutely nothing wrong with decaf coffee imo. i keep it to a minimum anyways as i like it fairly sweet. when i can i use maple syrup (the real stuff, not the flavored corn syrup imitation) as it makes me feel better about it, though sugar is sugar i think maple syrup at least has nutritional value (vitamins, minerals etc)
the world is not my home I'm just passing through
solefood

Previous

Return to Food and Health