It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm

coconut oil mental health chronic fatigue

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

coconut oil mental health chronic fatigue

Postby weldonjobe » Oct 22, 2012 12:45 am

Coconut Oil ( a cure?)
It appears to be a way to provide continuous energy to the brain. I found it for about $10/lb
Sugar or starch consumption causes spikes and dips in blood sugar and therefore energy.
Notably wheat starch, whole or white, causes a larger spike than pure sugar.

This isn't as much of a factor with fat burning or Ketosis.
MCT (medium chain triglycerides) are the principle constituents of coconut oil.
Regardless of what is going on with insulin, these fats continue to be used as
fuel by the body. The MCTs are a form of fats (lipids) that can be used with
minimal processing by the digestive system and have good absorption.

So basically we need a stable amount of energy so that our thinking won't falter.
I think a lot of the depression and mania are caused by swings in energy leading
to psychological adaptations formed around them. That's the simplest way I can put it.

Conversely the fatigue itself might have been caused by environmental issues that
arose early in life. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121732.htm
Specifically abuse by other people.

Complementing this is the amygdala theory of chronic fatigue with offers a model of how
digestion metabolism hormones, the nervous system and mood form a loop that trap the suffer
in the cycle. See Ashok Gupta.

Anyways, I think coconut oil is a good treatment for mental illness superior to all the drugs and maybe
even therapy we use. This is especially true when there is a lot of mental fatigue involved.
The realization of how energy levels effect or thinking is useful in of itself. We shouldn't attribute
or failings necessarily to philosophy or these other potential traps.

The help with Alzheimers disease alone is astounding. Here's a source for Coconut Oil and Brain Health:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evo ... in-ketones
weldonjobe

Re: coconut oil mental health chronic fatigue

Postby _ » Oct 22, 2012 1:22 am

I always use coconut oil to cook with... far superior to olive oil or anything else for that matter. Olive oil is of course great for salads or something though of course. Interesting that it could have beneficial effect on mental health though too. I suppose fish oil is also good.. and I know dr. mercola recommends Krill oil especially.
_

Postby silverelf » Oct 22, 2012 1:46 am

coconut oil is also good for candida killing. I use it daily. If not to cook with, then just to eat.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby chiaroscuro » Oct 22, 2012 4:28 am

You eat it straight? How much at a time?
chiaroscuro

Postby silverelf » Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

1-2tbsp at a time either in a smoothie or just eat it with a spoon. Makes some peoples tummies hurt since it is a nice big chunk of fat to digest, but I don't seem to have any problems with it. Much more problems when I gorge on nuts.
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby weldonjobe » Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

There is so much to learn about this subject. Experts out in the internet rarely have all the pieces and IRL docs, forget it, unless you are someplace super hip and get lucky.

The thing I'm looking into with fish oil and omega-3, omega-6 is how they should be balanced in a ratio that is typical in nature,
And there are different forms of the above. Pasture butter , that being from grass fed cows has an ideal ratio and strangely a rare food esp. since it also contains good vitamins and has been eaten it large quantity with little health or ethical consequence.

The issue with candida is where my current curiosity is centered. To some extent candida may protect against too much carbs. I should mention, for the uninitiated, the theory that unabsorbed sugar and starch causes a bloom of bacteria and yeast somewhere in the digestive tract amongst these organism which should be helpful symbiots. This bloom causes intestinal wall infiltration, malabsorption of nutrients and to avoid being harmed by undigested proteins the body presents an immune response which becomes autoimmune disease of various types, including that which attacks the thyroid and brain.

The treatment for this is no grain esp. wheat which I have done and very carefully controlled sugar intake which I am beginning.
Again there is much more to this line of research as a brief web search will show. The reason I'm doing it is that I'm trying to cure my almost lifelong depression and fatigue. A intermediary goal is to discover what part of this is in my head so to speak. .. .. .
weldonjobe

Postby silverelf » Oct 27, 2012 11:26 am

Good luck! I have been on that round for 10+ years and am still trying to figure out what fits where and what to do.

If you can afford it, getting fermented cod liver/butter pills are supposed to be fantastic:
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Butter-Ferm ... B002M06SMU

but honestly I find that eating regular fish oil and regular ghee to be almost as beneficial.

Good luck with the no/low sugar diet. It's a pain in the ass at first, especially if you are/were a sugar addict like so many of us, but it gets a lot easier! My first anti-candida diet lasted about a year, and while it didn't fix my fatigue/depression, it did break a lifelong sugar habit.
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby angelsmith » Oct 29, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks for the post. I don't know that it is really true.
angelsmith

Postby weldonjobe » Oct 29, 2012 5:55 am

thank you silverelf

yeah, "cure" is probably and exaggeration angelsmith A Paleo Diet for some of us might be.

getting that "ripped" look is another plus that makes it worth it for me. don't ask why.
weldonjobe

Postby alcon2785 » Sep 24, 2015 4:36 am

Thanks Guys!!! you all has shared such a wonderful information about coconut oil.
alcon2785

Postby naomibardo » Nov 02, 2016 6:05 pm

I had no idea coconut oil was so good for you and that it had any mental health benefits.
naomibardo

Return to Food and Health