It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:47 pm

Coffee and Enthusiasm!!

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Coffee and Enthusiasm!!

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Coffee and Enthusiasm

is anyone else thoroughly enthusiastic about coffee? I drink it all day long though I have to slow down when I get too dizzy as I am now, ha. Coffee really gives me a boost in my creativity. It wakes me up and relaxes me after a long day. It is social and friendly and I love it. There is nothing like it in the afternoon, when I feel the best. Coffee and it's assets and liabilities will be discussed in this thread. I will post links to articles both for and against coffee drinking. The reasons that people switch to tea and more. And of course, caffeine in general. So if anyone has anything interesting to say about coffee, please share!

Aloha, Cindy
<p>"We are so plugged into the universe that stars travel through follicles and shoot out the ends of our hair!"</p>
Cindy Wicks

Re: Coffee and Enthusiasm!!

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

<p>"We are so plugged into the universe that stars travel through follicles and shoot out the ends of our hair!"</p>
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Cindy Wicks

Postby yellowrose » Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

coffee is my rocket fuel....ill post more later
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 27, 2013 7:12 pm

my coffee biography:

used to drink coffee all the time, loved it
got severe stomach problems (coffee doesn't ruin the stomach right away, but in the long run it does for many people)
still craved it
had the insight: if i wish for more calm in my mind - why consume a substance that chemically produces the opposite??
after a bit more than a year of relative coffee abstinence (which is surprisingly easy) i don't like coffee any more. it now feels awful. someone i know had the same experience.
i also rarely consume other things that contain caffein. but i can still enjoy the slower the slower impact of caffeine on the body from tea. i still enjoy that. whereas coffee feels like it fucks up my body and mind.

i'm not crusading about it. when i crave the taste of coffee i still have one, i.e. i have a cup of hot milk with a few drops of coffee in it, to avoid the fucked up symptoms of the vegetative system.

but for people struggling with any sort of "mental" thing it's probably good to know that
A. coffee feels good in the morning because after not even 24h we have withdrawal symptoms from caffeine. so drinking coffee means to continually drug away withdrawal symptoms. the actual level of functioning without coffee feels a lot better than the state one knows before one has one's first coffee in the morning.
B. before you go seek reasons for all sorts of food intolerances or deficiencies of some hardly known vitamins or minerals go for the obvious things. it is totally possible that some exotic intolerance that the public or medicine is not yet fully aware of fucks you up. totally possible, no idea. but there are lots of things around us that are known to fuck mental states up, and that are commonly believed to be irrelevant and harmless.
i don't say this in any crusading headspace. myself, i cannot give up the sugar kick experience. i refuse to feel guilty about it, and i certainly don't want anyone to feel guilty about coffee. that's not the point. it's rather, that myself, i feel betrayed by a psychiatric industry that rx'ed me tons of dangerous (and useless) drugs, and never suggested that if i suffer from states of fear and emotional arousal - then maybe coffee (or that much coffee) is something to explore. nobody ever said that. coffee is so sanctioned, societally, like alcohol. smoke pot and you're a drug addict. drink "socially" or a bit more and you're very far from being seen as a drug addict.
caffeine is such an obvious thing one doesn't want to have in one's blood stream as a person with difficulties to calm down from emotional states. and with sleep problems. etc. etc.

the intense cardio-vascular reactions i get from coffee now, after a year more or less without it, affirm that for me. (i could probably get the drug tolerance that i had again if i drank more coffee. but tolerance (i.e. you perceive less "side"-effects) doesn't mean the stuff is not acting in your body and producing other noticeable things (cf. alcohol).)

as a student, i had such problems to get up in the mornings, that i tried caffeine pills - and got panic attacks (and panicked nightmares, as i wasn't more awake from it) from it. so there is clearly a line from caffeine to fear and panic. (whether causing or worsening it.)

coffee is seen as harmless. and thereby goes invisible.

i hope you forgive me this rather problem-oriented statement on a thread that starts with such a love declaration to coffee. coffee is not only a substance, it's also a cultural and social thing, it's a cultural meme. i used to think i could never live without coffee. i found out it isn't even a big deal. and the strong cardiovascular reactions that i experience now (without tolerance) confirm my choice. my stomach problems have also lessened much.
i wish i had had this insight earlier. instead i spent time researching highly unlikely influences while this very real influence got totally unnoticed.

aloha
Last edited by maamyyrä on Jan 27, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 27, 2013 7:18 pm

alright Maamyrria :)!! Great stuff!! Thanks so much for responding.. I am so grateful for your opinion..

Keep them coming!

Aloha, Cindy
Cindy Wicks

Postby triciafishDE » Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

I love coca cola like you love coffee. Mostly tea or hot cocoa for me.
But this is weird... I just started drinking coffee in 2011. I'm 40yrs old.
I mostly like hazelnut cream and sugar with a slash of coffee. The cat likes my coffee. She uses her paw to drink from my cup.
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm

cool :) that must be cute...
Cindy Wicks

Postby Ben-Gurion the Mysterion » Feb 06, 2013 5:19 am

Over the last few years I've gone through ups and down with coffee, but I can often be heard singing it's praises in one way or another.

Before ever reading an article online about it I picked up a daily coffee habit to help keep depression at bay.

One way I thought about caffeine was that it gave me the ability to allocate mental/cognitive/emotional highs to the time of the day that I desired instead of have highs and lows according to some internal (often inscrutable) inner rhythms.

I have also found it often helps me think more creatively as well as act more spontaneously. It's almost as if my normal habits of self censoring are too slow to stop by caffeinated intentions.

I think that some of this situational. If I'm in a coffee shop with a friend I like to talk to, then that's already have the joy of getting a coffee right there. Plus, this forms state-dependent associations: later I might get a coffee and even if I'm alone my mind might switch into conversation mode because of how many great conversations I've had recently while "on coffee."

Because of this I try and not drink coffee every day and try not to drink it as a tool to boost my energy to work at a shitty job. I've found that this can (temporarily) ruin coffee, making it a drug of drudgery rather than conversation or creativity.
Ben-Gurion the Mysterion

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 06, 2013 8:04 am

thanks Ben Gurian for weighing in! I understand how drinking coffee could get to be a drudgery.. if it aids in being more productive in ways you'd rather not.. or are required to... the only time I really resent coffee is when I stop sleeping altogether.. right now my meds are being tapered... feeling like I need to cut down on coffee... as it is in the middle of the night and I'm still up... have to work on that...

Be well and take care,

Cindy
Cindy Wicks

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Feb 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Drinking coffee is the fuel for the generator to light the Office where the LittleSelf dwells at a desk, Pen in Hand.

He, and His team do prefer the Windswept Hills, and pleasant streams.
He knows the value of the WrittenWord. He knows that Value is not in the Material.
His friend, She keeps Him aWeir of tHat.

The Ram+Shackle House of Homany in the VacciNity of
that Creased+Ruts of Wernicke & Broca.

Left to Their DeviCes. Grid Words (err?HA!) get jutted unto pulled+pulp inna pad.
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 06, 2013 12:38 pm

:( Awesome...
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

pix
Attachments
485306_302546763200498_1169172610_n.jpg
579595_303677736420734_203363369_n.jpg
579595_303677736420734_203363369_n.jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Cindy Wicks

Postby maamyyrä » Feb 07, 2013 3:27 am

was surprised to find this on the beyondmeds blog:
http://beyondmeds.com/2013/02/05/help-for-insomnia/
NO COFFEE or caffeine containing beverages ever for me…because it’s really like doing cocaine for my brain…I’m not exaggerating. I do generally suggest everyone coming off meds cut it out though even if they don’t recognize severe sensitivity like I have. That’s the common advice on all the withdrawal boards too…those of us who have lots of collected experience helping others find that it’s generally necessary and helpful to stop caffeine. It can be hard to do but it really helps the healing process along…
maamyyrä

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 08, 2013 3:49 am

great maamyrria :) I'll have to check that out....

Take Care, Cindy
Cindy Wicks

Postby sandpiper » Feb 08, 2013 4:48 am

Oh how I love the smell of coffee! I stopped drinking it when I became vegan because I read that it leaches calcium out of the body. But now I am not sure if the amount of calcium is significant. It was to me at that time. I am no longer vegan,though, but I still don't drink coffee. I learned that it is what had been making me so anxiety ridden all those years. Well, it played a significant role in UPPING my anxiety. I am not sure if it is the caffeine in coffee that produces the anxiety. I wonder if it another chemical in it? other foods and beverages containing caffeine don't produce the anxiety that coffee produces in me.

Working for a local coffee roaster over the last several years, I have learned that the lighter the roast the more caffeine. Darker roast such as French Roast have less caffeine contrary to popular belief. Also the more premium the beans, the higher the quality of the coffee, the less the caffeine will negatively impact a person in that jittery jacked up way.

coffee sure does fascinate me!
sandpiper

Postby maamyyrä » Feb 08, 2013 5:22 am

sandpiper wrote:Oh how I love the smell of coffee!

i do, too. strange how smells are emotionally loaded.
someone who doesn't like coffee once told me they, too, adored the smell, and were disappointed that it doesn't really relate to the taste. i relate to that. i think coffee smells much much much more alluring than it tastes.

i also read that an espresso has actually less caffeine than a cup of normal coffee.
i agree there are differences in quality. but i would push back a little on the quality thing, as there is a lot of marketing in it. (who finances research on coffee?? there is no financially powerful "anti-coffee union" afaik but many rich companies who want to sell it. so even research is to be read cum grano salis. not because the results are necessarily manipulated but because the questions are often chosen in extremely selective ways, neglecting many relevant things.)

but i also support that personal wellbeing is important. i totally encourage everyone to investigate cafeine as a possible source of many of their problems. but not fanatically, as i totally see how familiar tastes and habits can be very important. for myself, it would certainly be "healthy" to not eat candy. but i don't because after much experimenting with it i decided that the emotional relevance of not being hungry and of acting on cravings are too important to me. to the point that unrestrictedly acting on my cravings (really unrestrictedly) makes them fade. so someone who allows themselves to drink unlimited amounts of coffee might end up drinking less coffee than they would if they neurotically tried to control and restrict their consumption. the world is too complex. but for those who feel curious and emotionally unburdened by it, i totally recommend investigating the impact of coffee (rather than focusing on some strange rare agent they might be sensitive against, and before deciding to take drugs). it may even help with things that seem totally unrelated to what one might expect from caffeine. it is normal that substances have paradoxical effects in some people. (i.e. caffeine might not make you anxious but chronically tired or chronically "depressed", for instance.)
maamyyrä

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 08, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks for weighing in sandpiper... cool.. I love french roast.... but I especially love %100 Kona coffee.... zooom... great stuff... and thanks maamyyria :) to each their own....

Aloha, Cindy
Cindy Wicks

Return to Food and Health