It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetarians

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetarians

Postby Raining Frog » Mar 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi all, I decided to start this thread for anyone who has trouble converting from a meat to a vegetarian diet or remaining as a vegetarian for an extended period of time.

My story is that I've just turned vegetarian again almost a week ago and I really would like to stay one. In the past I have had trouble staying vegetarian.

Converting is also difficult from a meat diet and being used to eating at places like Burger King or places like that. Yeah, I know, but it's proving kind of a hard habit to break.

Then there's the matter of going back to reading ingredients lists, which I'm okay with, but it's disappointing how many otherwise vegetarian items are ruined by the inclusion of something like gelatin, or maybe chicken broth.

I got these ensure protein shakes because of the whole protein deficiency thing. They're super expensive, and I've heard that it's possible to get a doctor's script for them but I got a no, so I just buy them when I can afford them. They taste pretty decent and seem to help with adding vitamins and protein I seem to be deficient in.

Anyone else going through this or have struggled to remain vegetarian?
Raining Frog

Re: Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetar

Postby sweetchi » Jan 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Greetings. I have just begun a vegetarian diet because of my severe allergies. I have been meatless for about a week now. I already feel better. FYI - Ensure contains high fructose corn syrup. What I have found most difficult about "converting" to a meatless diet is the resistance from other people.
sweetchi

Postby dahna » Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm

I've been a vegetarian for about three years now. It's never been hard for me to give up meat, however, I am still a really unhealthy eater. Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein. Not eating meat has always felt natural to me. The problem I have is carb consumption. I hate cooking and am sort of poor, which limits me to a lot of starchy food. Although I consider myself to be in recovery from an eating disorder, I feel like a nutritionist privy to my diet would admonish me.
dahna

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 15, 2014 2:13 am

you can have your own interest thread but i don't think "converting" is in accordance with community guidelines. food policing has religious qualities. "research" supports highly contradictory things. so it would be good people started to think about their personal wellbeing as opposed to some generalized projected idea of "healthy" that doesn't hold up. especially since "restricted eating" is the fastest growing "eating disorder". but at the least i don't think advertising something in a "converting" headspace is acceptable on here. cultivate a life style choice, give your reasons for it, but don't market it as the One True Way.

i'd much rather see an anti-factory-farming thread.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby dionysiandialect » Jan 15, 2014 2:20 am

i guess alcohol and cigarettes are not carnivorous?

that's also besides the point, i know.
“I have never voted in my life... I have always known and understood that the idiots are in a majority so it's certain they will win." --Louis Ferdinand Celine
dionysiandialect

Postby dahna » Jan 15, 2014 3:07 am

maamyyrä wrote:i don't think advertising something in a "converting"

I think you're misreading, maybe intentionally.
The purpose of the thread isn't to convert people to vegetarianism.
dahna

Postby chiaroscuro » Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm

dahna wrote:The purpose of the thread isn't to convert people to vegetarianism.

Agreed, but even if it was, I don't think that would really be against the guidelines either, unless a person was so dogged and disrespectful about it that a case could be made for harassment.

Back to the topic -- I was vegetarian or vegan for most of my teens and twenties and I struggled with it constantly. I love and crave meat and my body does much better when I have it, so I would fall off the wagon all the time (and am now permanently off due to health factors). To try to stay on that wagon it might help to be really clear with yourself about what your reasons are for doing it -- whether it's moral/ethical, for health considerations, a matter of taste, cultural background etc. For me it was definitely moral/ethical. Most of the times I became vegan again after backsliding it was because I'd watched videos or documentaries exposing the cruelty and brutality of factory farming, and specifically showing the suffering of the animals. It would break my heart and renew my resolve every time.

Health stuff is important to keep in mind though. Try to make sure your body is actually okay with what you're eating, especially if you want it to be sustainable. When I was vegan I ate a lot of soy, corn, gluten, potatoes, refined oils, sugar etc, all things I react to and can't tolerate. The way I see it, if your food is making you sick, you are harming an animal -- yourself.
chiaroscuro

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm

so why does it say so?

i think it's bad style. converting? joined scientology?
maamyyrä

Postby dahna » Jan 15, 2014 1:47 pm

I mean, you could technically read it that way. Like it could be interpreted as a thread for (with the intention of) converting vegetarians, rather than a thread for (geared towards people who are) converting (in the process of becoming) vegetarians. Based on the content of the original post, it seems to mean the latter.
dahna

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 15, 2014 2:58 pm

it says "Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetarians"
if you do not mean it that way don't call it that way.
disgusting.
maamyyrä

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 15, 2014 8:50 pm

maamyyrä wrote:
i'd much rather see an anti-factory-farming thread.

Yes, everyone, let Us shut down Our factory farms!
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Cook more.

I stayed the most strictly vegan at My brokest (moneywise) and also had better nutrition and variety than any time I had the luxury of buying fast food (it only looks cheap to people who can't shop or cook lol) .... yum PB&J Beans&Rice?!?! MOOOOOORE!!!!
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
Roland and Eddie
MyBigTakeOver

Postby equidancers » Jan 16, 2014 7:47 am

I like meat and I eat meat, but in limited quantities and infrequently. I do feel bad about consuming animals. Particularly pigs. But also cows. And to a lesser extent, chickens. I suspect that had I not developed a taste for meat before, or separate to, associating it with the actual animal, that I would be a vegetarian.

I absolutely could not (well, will not, I guess) give up fish. I love fish and the way it makes me feel. Unlike beef and pork. Eating red meat or pork makes me feel a little unwell. My body is not used to it.

I don't think I will ever eliminate meat entirely from my diet, but when I have the money I will make choices based on less inhumane practices. But that point is almost irrelevant because I so rarely eat meat anyway. Why eat something expensive and, in anything other than small quantities, unhealthy? Fish- most every day. My diet is almost entirely plant based. I feel best when I consume mostly fruits and vegetables with eggs and potatoes (and oatmeal! I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast) thrown in.

Regardless of anything else, large amounts of meat consumption is just not healthy. Plant based diets are (unless you have some health reason you have to avoid these foods) best.

I still need to manage successful tofu preparation..
equidancers

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 16, 2014 10:13 am

Molasses!
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
Roland and Eddie
MyBigTakeOver

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm vegetarian, not vegan, and I feel like I consume more dairy and eggs for protein than I would if I ate meat. I feel like this is problematic. I have considered becoming vegan, although for me it feels less natural than being a vegetarian, and would be counter to my intuitive sense of eating. I eat a lot of microwavable veggie burgers and raw tofu. I mentioned nutritional yeast. They make pastas with protein now. Maybe I'll try that. If I get bored enough to cook maybe one day I'll experiment with like tempeh or seitan, I just really fucking hate cooking.
dahna

Postby Ceilidh » Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I support people listening to their bodies and eating what they want (vegetarian, sometimes vegan here).

Earnest conversations aside, I read the thread title as "converting or remaining vegetables". No longer is Icarus for humans only! ;-) It's Friday ...
Ceilidh

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 17, 2014 2:40 pm

remaining vegetables

that's cool.

fanatism always denies how complex the world is. and that's what the site basically wants to bring across, no? that things are so much more complex than people assume.

look at this

Semi-vegetarians and vegetarians had poorer mental health, with 21-22% reporting depression compared with 15% of non-vegetarians. Low iron levels and menstrual symptoms were also more common in both vegetarian groups.

Public Health Nutr. 2007 May;10(5):436-42.
How does the health and well-being of young Australian vegetarian and semi-vegetarian women compare with non-vegetarians?
Baines S, Powers J, Brown WJ.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17411462

and there is plenty of research showing similar things. so if someone tells me their vegetarian diet is good for them, does that entitle me to "convert" them? i don't think so. but the other way round it's exactly the same. converting people is bullshit.

also, vegetarianism has long been shown to be detrimental to children. so "conversion" is directly opposed to having a valuable discussion about something.

not to mention how you feed your body GENETICALLY MANIPULATED food if you eat soy and corn.

and look at this

http://www.lejournalinternational.fr/Qu ... _a444.html

the quinoa catastrophe. so western weirdos who decide they need A HERBAL SOURCE OF PROTEINES because of their fucking hip life style choice make people STARVE because now they are sick of beans and soy beans and don't care about imperialist consequences.

it's a lot more complicated than just "oh it's a plant so it must be ecologically better". so "converting"?? leave your uninformed peta bullying out of the forums and go rejoin your totalitarian cult.
maamyyrä

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm

I get why this thread was triggering for you, but I think you are fixating on one linguistic choice to subvert the purpose of this thread. Personally I don't care even like a little bit what anyone else eats as long as it isn't like the corpses of my family members. I just want a space where I can talk about a personal dietary choice I made with other people who do the same.
That said, I do think it's important to be precise with language on the internet. I had a freak out over the use of the word "crazy" in an article I read on another site recently, and I really do get why one word can be so infuriating.
dahna

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 17, 2014 3:43 pm

it's not a linguistic choice.
it's not triggering to see bullying and totalitarianism. it's just fucked.
maamyyrä

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 3:46 pm

maamyyrä wrote: bullying and totalitarianism.

Can you please indicate where this occurs specifically?
dahna

Next

Return to Food and Health