It is currently Sep 18, 2019 5:05 am

Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetarians

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Re: Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetar

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 17, 2014 3:48 pm

maamyyrä wrote:

http://www.lejournalinternational.fr/Qu ... _a444.html

the quinoa catastrophe. so western weirdos who decide they need A HERBAL SOURCE OF PROTEINES because of their fucking hip life style choice make people STARVE because now they are sick of beans and soy beans and don't care about imperialist consequences.

it's a lot more complicated than just "oh it's a plant so it must be ecologically better". so "converting"?? leave your uninformed peta bullying out of the forums and go rejoin your totalitarian cult.

.....Cattle ranchers tie Amazonian children to trees and burn them to secure farmland for "100% US Beef" so take Your selection of articles and start a "I am now and wish forever to be (F)ull (O)f (E)xcrement" thread. Pretending that soy isn't in every fucking item eaten by 99.999999956999% of the Flesh Craving majority.
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby yellowrose » Jan 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Maamyyra...

converting doesn't neccesarily mean forcibly changing something from one thing to another, for example 'converting' someone to another religious belief. Convert, I think can just mean 'to change' something and doesn't imply a value judgment e.g.

'British Rail decided to convert the East Coast Mainline from diesel to electric'

'For this recipe you will need 1lb of sugar. See below if you want to convert the recipe to metric'
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby chiaroscuro » Jan 17, 2014 7:52 pm

dahna wrote:maybe one day I'll experiment with like tempeh or seitan

Everyone's different and whatnot but personally I would advise caution with this... seitan is pure wheat gluten and many many many people (I'd go so far as to say most, whether they're aware of it or not) react to gluten. It's implicated in a host of health problems (leaky gut, inflammation, autoimmune stuff) and particularly mental health issues. Soy can also be pretty problematic for many people (GI stuff, hormone stuff and therefore mental health). When I started doing research on the gut-brain axis a few years ago I was shocked to discover how clear the connection is between what we eat and how we're doing cognitively and emotionally.
chiaroscuro

Postby yellowrose » Jan 17, 2014 8:04 pm

A lot of people on TIP seem to recommend restrictive diets e.g. Paleo which I could never stick to.

In the last few months I have got my intake of refined sugar under control by eating fruit regularly.
yellowrose

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks that's really helpful. I try to get the non-GMO soy stuff. In general, I am pretty uneducated when it comes to nutrition. Eating disorder programs did not help me to get any real perspective on how to feed my body. One hospital program only ever fed us ensure, literally no solid food. It's embarrassing to admit that I still need help feeding myself. I was eating beans for protein for a while, but I came up with caloric reasons to rationalize them out of my diet. I don't think my eating disorder really plays into the reasons why I am a vegetarian, I think no matter how/what I eat, it's going to be affected.

ETA: Honestly, there are a lot of times when it would actually serve the calorie restrictive aspect of my eating to eat meat. Choosing certain foods, in some cases, instead of meat, actually forces me to challenge my eating disorder. There have been many times when it would been cheaper calorie wise to go with meat than whatever vegetarian alternative was presented, and I still chose what felt right to me, which was not meat.
dahna

You can eat what you like/you can drink what you like

Postby yellowrose » Jan 17, 2014 8:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1sI3pXo9pQ

'you can eat what you like/you can drink what you like/you can even have a ciggie at a push'
yellowrose

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 9:08 pm

The thing is, being a vegetarian doesn't feel restrictive to me. It really feels natural. If I ever want to eat meat, I will.
dahna

Postby equidancers » Jan 17, 2014 9:21 pm

One of the great things about fruits and vegetables is the complete absence of guilt. Fruits and vegetables are, for me anyway, without restriction. (Assuming they are left in a healthy form.) Sure we need other foods, but I don't think anything negative can come from consuming as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Guilt free consumption that is good for the body. What is not to love?
equidancers

Postby yellowrose » Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

dahna wrote:The thing is, being a vegetarian doesn't feel restrictive to me. It really feels natural. If I ever want to eat meat, I will.

I wasn't really thinking of vegetarianism I was thinking of some of the other fad diets that people on here spout about... 'Oh I only eat food in the shape of a dinosaur' or 'I only eat foods with the letter v in the title'
yellowrose

Postby dahna » Jan 17, 2014 9:55 pm

breatharianism. cannibalism.
dahna

Postby chiaroscuro » Jan 18, 2014 4:22 am

yellowrose wrote:I wasn't really thinking of vegetarianism I was thinking of some of the other fad diets that people on here spout about... 'Oh I only eat food in the shape of a dinosaur' or 'I only eat foods with the letter v in the title'

That's pretty rude and judgmental. I for one am on the autoimmune paleo diet for health reasons, it's not a fad, it's a health protocol and it's actually effective.
chiaroscuro

Postby burkowitz » Jan 18, 2014 4:45 am

I could never go completely vegetarian (I sort of tried when I was living with some vegetarians)

there are certain things.. like good quality pepperoni on a pizza
or I don't know a million other kind of meat kind of foods that just taste too good and are too tempting.

that being said there are some days where I don't eat any meat at all.
I am living with my family and we eat together and if they feel like vegetarian food, I don't have a problem with it.
I could probably go weeks or months not eating any meat.
it's fine whatever...

I might try to go vegetarian again in the future but yeah I think the fact that i'm living with my mom right now.. I think being of an older generation you still have it in grained into you to buy chickens and turkeys at the grocery store. and you will cook vegetarian food sometimes but you will still always go back to buying a chicken at the grocery store because you just have that old world culture built into you.. gotta make your chicken soup...

but yeah when I move out on my own again, will probably go veggie and maybe buy a pack of bacon like once a month or something like that.. I just can't abstain for something like that 100% it's just not my style..
burkowitz

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 18, 2014 6:11 am

dahna wrote:you are fixating on one linguistic choice

let's look what the internet anti-bullying agenda says about how to reply to that?

i guess the appropriate reply seems to be

so "linguistic choices" never reveal the motivation of a poster and never constitute the very essence of bullying? yeah. sure... err....
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 18, 2014 6:12 am

dahna wrote:
maamyyrä wrote: bullying and totalitarianism.

Can you please indicate where this occurs specifically?

i did. put the word "converting" out of the title. it's bullying.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby yellowrose » Jan 18, 2014 7:24 am

Marmara

I think you are being purposefully obtuse.... But then that's you style
yellowrose

Postby dahna » Jan 18, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah I've fulfilled my quota for dealing with stupid shit on the the internet this week.
You should know where to pick your battles, and they aren't here.
There is absurdly fucked up shit going on everywhere and if you want to just ignore it and focus on people in this community who are actually trying to support and understand you, then that's your problem.
dahna

Postby equidancers » Jan 18, 2014 11:30 am

Here's the thing. I have struggles with food, which makes everything else more of a problem. It helps to be able to communicate with people who are also struggling to make good (for necessity and physical health, like chiaroscuro, or for any of the rest of us just trying to do our best) choices regarding food.

Talking about the positives of the foods I don't feel guilty about consuming helps me to consume the amounts and types of food my body requires.

Dahna, maybe you could start a new thread with a slightly different focus and we could try again? Because I could use support in these sorts of things and it sounds like other people could as well. Food is a constant struggle for me. Sounds like it is for a lot of us. I don't really care about trying to convince anyone to make different choices about their food. I would just like the chance to have some understanding and dialogue about an issue that is constantly on my radar. We have to eat. And what we put in our bodies affects our physical and mental health. Support for those choices seems reasonable.
equidancers

Postby dahna » Jan 18, 2014 11:35 am

equidancers wrote:Dahna, maybe you could start a new thread with a slightly different focus and we could try again?

This isn't even my thread. RainingFrog started this thread and had every right to. I'm not going to go rogue and divert the conversation away from what she set out to discuss.
dahna

Postby equidancers » Jan 18, 2014 11:55 am

Oh whoops. I am sorry. I thought you had started it. I am being careless this week. It happened at work and it is happening on here. Nevermind.

Oh well. That sucks. Well maybe at some point another such thread will appear.
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Jan 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Nutrients are observable through color, which is pretty cool, I think. Pretty colors, and lots of them, translates into stuff the body body loves.

I like the color/nutrient connection. Fruit/Vegetable color wheels are fun. :)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/1 ... new-green/
equidancers

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Health