It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetarians

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Re: Vegetarianism thread for converting or remaining vegetar

Postby burkowitz » Jan 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Talking about the positives of the foods I don't feel guilty about consuming helps me to consume the amounts and types of food my body requires.

even if you eat something really shitty like mcdonalds I don't think there is any use in feeling guilty about it. guilt is an unproductive emotion.. i think many people would be better off if they let go of this idea of guilt/shame/judgement...
burkowitz

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm

equidancers wrote:Nutrients are observable through color, which is pretty cool, I think. Pretty colors, and lots of them, translates into stuff the body body loves.

I like the color/nutrient connection. Fruit/Vegetable color wheels are fun. :)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/1 ... new-green/

yes :)

the word "vegetarian" doesn't necessarily mean "vegetable". The root is Vegetus which means something like "Lively Feeling"......but then with actually seeing, planting, preparing, and eating a full spectrum of Vegetables there comes a definite "Lively Feeling".

RainingFrog: I would recommend finding people who are "Vegetarian For Religious Reasons" in order to experience the Culture (like pro+biotic..) that sustains so many people without industrial slaughterhouses or objectification of animals ( sounds more idolatrous than a cat statue, huh?) for monetary gain( Google: fasting in orthodox christianity...and be surprised) . This is in CONtrast to the "Religiously Vegetarian" that often burn away all zeal shortly without being able to pass skills&knowledge. In Short: Don't take advice about vegetarism from anybody that can't cook beans :)

maamyra, that is a good point to touch on the subject of Masses Of CONverts to CONvertarianism. It is a very tricky existential trap that shouldn't go unmentioned.

I really enjoy the story Stone Soup as a primer recommended to someone for whom "going vegetarian" has a purpose extended beyond the little self and extending to the World at large.....because seriously building a token system between people and FOOD™ is fucked any which way Ya slice it, dice it, or deep fry it.
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm

burkowitz wrote:
Talking about the positives of the foods I don't feel guilty about consuming helps me to consume the amounts and types of food my body requires.

even if you eat something really shitty like mcdonalds I don't think there is any use in feeling guilty about it. guilt is an unproductive emotion.. i think many people would be better off if they let go of this idea of guilt/shame/judgement...

What if You found out that beyond a doubt that You had eaten meat from human being in a Big Mac, or even many over a given time? Would You honestly be so blasé about the idea of guilt?

Like, You can look at a statue of Kali now, and see a "scary" depiction of the Feminine Principle and all of Her respective accoutrements. Her metaphorical symbol of eating Her children is just a pretty nifty display of the "ashes to ashes/dust to dust" We have had presented by Catholic and Protestant alike and the Secularists even........but there are now and have been times that MOTHERS EAT THEIR OWN CHILDREN TO SURVIVE STARVATION. MOTHERS DECAPITATE PEOPLE.

<It's probably just the McGriddles anyways....though, why not the veganaise?>
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
Roland and Eddie
MyBigTakeOver

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Jan 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Moonshine weighing in here (oops not a good choice of verb).

I was confused by the thread title myself and had to read RF's post to see what it was all about. It was a poor choice of words methinks. Think they were just trying to get advice on "converting" from meat eating to vegetarianism. But I can see why the Convert part could be upsetting/triggering. Well, Rf is the only one to answer to that…if I had to give advice I would say, go slow, see how you feel. Be careful.

I was veg (the lacto type) for about eight years. I kind of did it on a whim after my ex well, "converted" me. He just asked me to stop eating meat, and by golly, I did. Not really for him, but because I wanted to. Although he thought I gave it up for him (har). But it turns out though his version of vegetarianism included eating tons of dairy and sugar and junk food and fake meat. Yes, the ex was a very troubled person who acted like a hypocritical assholic petty Tyrant most of the time - one part Hare Krishna zealot (before they pissed him off and they went on his shit list) and the other part self-ordained Health Food expert, who gave everyone he met (and I do mean everyone) the Vegetarian Business. And it was difficult for me to deal with. I thought it was so rude, so disrespectful and just stupid. I would never try to force my diet on anyone else.

Now I'm eating meat again. All I can really say at this point is a) I do feel better most days b) I've gained weight. I'm still trying to figure out what's best for my body. I seem to do best on meat and some vegetables and fruit. I love salads, but my gut doth protest. And I try to buy flesh from humanely raised, grass fed animal and the "good' kinda fish. But man, it is expansive, as we all know. But I figure only eating this type of meat will limit my meat eating.

I would like to look more into the Paleo Diet before writing it off. I would at least like to try and stop eating gluten for a few weeks, just to see how I feel. And then phase out sugar and caffeine (oh now I'm really dreaming).

But…I do feel like I have "fallen" (since I was trying to do the Hindu Bhakti thing). I think there is something noble about being vegan, even though it might not be the ideal diet for most people. My Mom was sad when I started eating meat again. She was proud of having a vegetarian in the family.

I was also on the liquid (wink wink) diet for a while. When munching saltines so you can have beer for breakfast until you pass out for more beer/wine/whatever at LUNCH seemed like a Good Idea. Big SIGH. No, I don't recommend that, brothers and sisters. Or brewing tea out of certain dried flowers…well, you know.

Yes, there is a lot of ethical baggage (and cabbage) around this issue - even if you don't believe you are going to hell for Omnivore Gluttony. Seems like every which way you decide to eat, it's gonna either kill you and/or involve a lot of killing. Such how it is down here on Planet Lalala.

Naw, more like the truth: I don't know what to eat anymore. It's really quite exhausting, planning meals, cooking, feeling guilty about eating the steak or the cream puffs. I wish I could bypass eating all together…just live on air and love and smelling roses. Maybe just sunlight…yes one day, if there are humans still around - part plant/part robot/part canary/part human - they will say "Why, those poor creatures used to EAT. Dead animals and and cheese doodles and plants - GASP -too!!! And then POOP. The HORROR, the horror!!!"

What's really disgusting…yes, factory farms. What's really, really, really disgusting though…that people are dying from starvation, right now. And we all might be eating bugs and rats soon. Ah, what to do?

MyBigTakeOver wrote:What if You found out that beyond a doubt that You had eaten meat from human being in a Big Mac, or even many over a given time?

I would hope they were grass fed Republicans :) Or at least cage free Christians. Badumpdaha!

And what about the noble Jains?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_vegetarianism
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm

LilMissMoonshine wrote:I wish I could bypass eating all together…

Just realized this was kind of insensitive to those who have issues around food and those who have stopped eating, either by choice or not be choice. Sorry :( Dog knows I have eating issues. Also I'm very grateful to be able to by food to eat. So many people can't even do this.
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby chiaroscuro » Jan 19, 2014 4:18 am

LilMissMoonshine wrote:I seem to do best on meat and some vegetables and fruit.

That's paleo in a nutshell. The basic idea is just to eat what humans ate before we developed agriculture -- that is, what we ate for the vast majority of the time our species has existed on the planet. Some people have this silly notion that the foods we literally evolved to eat over a span of millions of years are likely to be more optimal for our bodies than things we only started eating within the last 10,000 years (or in the case of processed and genetically modified foods, the last 50-100 years), but of course such people are just hipsters trying to keep up with the fads and act like they're cooler than everyone else.
chiaroscuro

Postby dahna » Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Are Boca Burgers really bad for me?
dahna

Postby _ » Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm

They're processed I think. Yeah probably not so great. I would keep it in moderation. What about just having shellfish? That's pretty much vegan? Oysters are the second most nutrient dense food. Very good for you.
_

Postby _ » Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Ok so yeah I thought it was a processed soy product.. I was correct. I didn't realize boca burgers had CARAMEL COLOR though!!! That stuff is complete poison.. I would avoid entirely.
_

Postby dahna » Feb 28, 2014 8:15 pm

gerald wrote:Yeah probably not so great. I would keep it in moderation. What about just having shellfish?

deathly allergic. but yeah, the caramel stuff is super bad for you apparently.
dahna

Postby _ » Feb 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Yeah I read a lot about caramel color a while ago. There was/is a pretty strong effort out there to get it banned entirely. I suppose one course of action could be switching to some other faux meat product that could have better ingredients.
_

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Mar 01, 2014 7:32 pm

"Yes."
"My Imagination."
Roland and Eddie
MyBigTakeOver

Postby _ » Mar 01, 2014 7:40 pm

I can't watch that clip. Sacha Cohen I suppose....... ummm what's the relevance? :)
_

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Mar 01, 2014 8:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WllKtiMvU

This one might work better.)

1) It's funny as fuq.
2) Hummus is delicious and vegetarian.
3) It could be about eating common houseplants and make more sense than recommending shellfish to someone from The Tribe in a vegetarian/ vegan thread LOL
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
Roland and Eddie
MyBigTakeOver

Postby _ » Mar 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Oh ok yeah.. sorry about that. Only commented because dahna was discussing the faux meat stuff and I thought of it as a good replacement. :)

Comment planned before MBTO's comment:

Veganaise haha.. I think the problem with seed oils etc. is more to do with how they're processed these days. Of course traditional cultures consumed canola oil in moderation. But yeah i think moderation is key with these things. I'm having sprouted whole wheat bread these days. Proper ratios are important though :). I wonder how that figures into mental health actually. Of course people talk about the benefits of long chain omega 3 in that regard but what about the ratio with omega 6? 1:1 - 4:1 is advised apparently.... (anyone taking algae oil? (noticed any benefits?))

I welcome any refutations though.. ;)
_

Postby _ » Mar 01, 2014 10:43 pm

In Short: Don't take advice about vegetarism from anybody that can't cook beans :)

Yes... I've tried buying bulk beans and then soaking and cooking on low heat for many hours but it didn't come out right. I have some more aduki beans right now though, and i'm going to give it another try.
_

Postby Tempulgate » Nov 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Many reasons I want to post to this thread, not the least of which is that it was started by

RainingFrog

who I just learned is no longer with us...

And just to say, I stopped eating meat when I was around 12 years old cuz I never liked anything about it. At 13 I met a vegetarian woman and learned it was a "real" thing, that people in many other cultures didn't eat meat and lived healthy lives, so I made it official. So it's not always based on some kind of fad or diet. I'm vegan now because dairy severely messes with my system, making me stuffy, lethargic, and feel yucky.

It's too bad I missed so many discussions about health and nutrition on this site, but there is a wealth of threads and posts that remain...Thank you all, wherever you are...hope you are well...
Tempulgate

Previous

Return to Food and Health