It is currently Sep 18, 2019 6:12 am

Soylent Goop

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Soylent Goop

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Apr 01, 2013 6:17 am

OK, I'm pretty much obsessed with this now (and damn you C, for turning my attention to it):

http://robrhinehart.com/?p=298

http://robrhinehart.com/?p=424

Any thoughts? It all makes some crazy kinda sense...but how we are going to manufacture all these ingredients in "Soylent" when the whole Thing crashes soon, I don't know.
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Re: Soylent Goop

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Apr 06, 2013 6:04 am

Bamp. Uh, I mean, bump.

Man, I thought andrewlang would be all over this...or someone.

I've kinda decided that this Not Eating thing is madness, not good madness, not for me at least. I don't think fasting on this stuff would be a Good Idea for me right now.

C is actually doing it...I was over his and L's place this week, saw his "lab" (the dining room table) with all this vitamins and powders and supplements lined up. He was putting powders into jars, labeling them. I forget all the names of the ingredients.

I think the worst part of being on this liquid diet would be not pooping. Can't imagine my life without poop. Or pizza.
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby _ » Apr 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Last edited by _ on Jan 20, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
_

Postby _ » Apr 06, 2013 8:28 pm

yeah maybe he should be having some coconut oil as well as the olive oil.
_

Postby yellowrose » Apr 06, 2013 9:48 pm

I read the thread....i think its a load of bollocks...... a lot of people seem to be saying following this diet could make you incontinent amongst other things....

food is a culture.....look at the french, italians, japanese....all the great food cultures....slow food, fine dining....restaurants....wine....fresh ingredients.....the taste of food.....the social aspect....families/friends....i think the whole soylent thing is pretty depressing..

not convinced......dont like it
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.
yellowrose

Postby _ » Apr 07, 2013 5:05 am

Last edited by _ on Jan 20, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
_

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Apr 13, 2013 8:19 am

Hi...finally had a chance to get back to this.

YR - yeah, I hear you. I'm kind of on the fence about it. On one hand, I see it has a good aid in fasting - providing your body what it needs while you relieve it (?) of the digestive process for a short period of time. But doing the Soylent rather than eating, just because you don't want the "burden" of eating food anymore...I dunno. Seems like your brain needs the stimulation of eating, if you know what I mean. And also, as discussed in the comments, I'm not sure entirely convinced that just taking in the "components" of food will give your body what it needs.

Eating and cooking are a huge part of being human - it seems like a total denial of our humanness, and culture. Or maybe it's...trying to become super-human, become the People Who Don't Eat. And being in "control". That makes me nervous. There are some things you just can't control!

Then again, there are studies out there of people (thinking of yogis mainly) who eat less or very little, and the conclusion was that they live longer, even past one hundred years old....Ram Dass' spiritual teacher survived on two glasses of milk for years and years, and lived a full, productive life dedicated to his guru and serving others. I mean, he should have died living on a diet like that...but I don't think he was trying to control anything, he fully let go. It's so very difficult to totally detach from the pleasure of eating, it's what all living creatures do - eating food is pleasurable so that we will seek out and consume food. And the urge to seek out food (made up of other living entities) is deeply embedded within animal, including human, DNA. In a way the yogis are re-writing or deactivating their DNA through the process they go through.

Andrew - yes, C has been doing it, preparing the Soylent exactly the way the blogger describes. But he's "cheating"- eating on the weekends when he has his kids. And the other night he had beef stroganoff with his partner - he couldn't pass that up. So already he's seeing that it's unhealthy for the sole reason that he can't fully connect with the main people in his life if he totally stops eating.

But then again, he claims he feels much better on the days he's just surviving on the Soylent...still, I worry. He has leukemia for christsakes!

All I know is I couldn't do it - not now certainly, and maybe never. It seems more healthy to keep eating food that will fully nourish your body, foods that one can easily digest so the organs aren't burdened too much, ones with the most nutritional value...and that can vary from person to person. One's genetic makeup seems to determine what exactly that diet is made up of. I was watching this show on the other day on the history of human evolution, and one segment dealt with the Chukchi (sp?) people who live in the frozen wilds of Northwest Siberia, which I believe is within the Arctic circle. It gets to be like -100 F there...and yet they walk around in this weather, no problem. They only eat reindeer meat, and their lives are totally centered around the reindeer herds they follow around, who migrate constantly, who eat only lichen buried underneath the frozen earth. And the Chukchi are fine, not malnourished at all, but very vibrant and energetic. They come from an ancient race who survived during the worst of the Ice Age - and a handful migrated into North America back in the day, and their descendants became the many tribes of Native Americans.

But if I tried to eat a diet solely of reindeer meat...I might not do as well.

Well I wrote a book here, but this topic fascinates me. As I go off to eat a bowl of processed cereal with almond milk. It's all food for thought.
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby _ » Apr 13, 2013 1:35 pm

_

Return to Food and Health