It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

All about MSG (the many labels for it)-Mental Health

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

All about MSG (the many labels for it)-Mental Health

Postby _ » May 08, 2014 4:55 pm

http://www.cleanforks.com/yummy/hidden- ... t-instead/

So I usually take a very simplistic approach to explaining food topics. This topic in particular will be a little more in depth but I promise to make it simple. I have outlined 3 easy steps below on what to look for when you are trying to stay clear of consuming MSG.

Food companies use MSG in foods to stimulate the pancreas in order to produce insulin which keeps you hungry and wanting more food. This chemical is also addictive and it is in most processed foods in your local grocery store.
Before we continue, I want you to remember, focus on progression- not perfection.
If you are ready to dive into reading every label then I am on your team and 100% cheering you on. If you are not ready to read every label, start where you are..which is always a perfect place. I am on your team and 100% cheering you on too!!
Below you will find 3 easy steps to start no matter where you are.
If you are like me and not looking to memorize over 40 chemicals today then make sure to bookmark this page on your smartphone so that you can have easy access and reference it while you are at the grocery store.
I love to do research so you don’t have to.
1. Why you want to avoid MSG:
MSG is a food additive present in most processed foods. The reason why you want to avoid it is because it is bad for your brain. It contains a neurotoxin that kills brain cells in the hypothalamus. The Hypothalamus is the part of the brain that is responsible for hormone production, regulates thirst, hunger,sleep, and regulates sex drive. The hypothalamus also regulates behavioral, autonomic, and and endocrine functions. (Your endocrine system is like the nervous system which is an information system that communicates with the rest of the body by sending out signals in the form of hormone production.)
MSG can have harmful effects such as sleep disturbance, depression, headaches, migraines, damage brain cells, weight gain, fatigue and disorientation.

2. What ingredients to avoid that contain MSG
The actual name for MSG is monosodium glutamate. There is more than 40 different ingredients contain the chemical in monosodium glutamate that causes harmful reactions to the body.

Be ware of products that contain the following ingredients: “hydrolyzed soy protein, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed pea protein, hydrolyzed whey protein, hydrolyzed, corn protein. If a tomato, for example, were whole, it would be identified as a tomato. “Calling an ingredient tomato protein indicates that the tomato has been hydrolyzed, at least in part, and that processed free glutamic acid (MSG) is present”.
The food industry says that MSG is “naturally occurring.” But the truth is that “Natural” doesn’t mean it is always “safe” to consume.
MSG is hidden in foods you wouldn’t even think to look in such as drinks, candy, and chewing gum and products containing aspartame, neotame. and AminoSweet (the new name for aspartame). Aspartic acid, found in neotame, aspartame also known as NutraSweet, and AminoSweet.
The following is a list of ingredients that always contain MSG:
Flavoring additives:
Disodium 5’-guanylate (E 627)
Disodium 5’-inosinate (E-631)
Disodium 5′-ribonucleotides (E 635)
Glutamic acid (E 620)2

Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)

Natrium glutamate
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate
Yeast extract, Torula yeast
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient

Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Whey protein
Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate

Soy protein
Soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Anything “protein”
Anything “protein fortified”

Soy sauce
Soy sauce extract
Anything “enzyme modified”
Anything containing “enzymes”
Anything “fermented”

Anything containing “protease”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
Umami

The following names are likely to have MSG:
Corn starch
Corn syrup
Modified food starch
Lipolyzed butter fat
Dextrose
Rice syrup

Brown rice syrup
Milk powder
Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%)
most things “low fat” or “no fat”
anything “enriched”

anything “vitamin enriched”
anything “pasteurized”
Annatto
Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar

certain amino acid chelates (Citrate, aspartate, and glutamate are used as chelating agents with mineral supplements.)
truthinlabeling.org
3. What to do instead:
When eating out:
If you are honest with your server and request they do not add MSG, some restaurants will cater to you unless the meals are already made. You will have to go off the honor system and trust that they do what they say they will do. If you are worried about MSG in general because you know you have specific reactions to it, then pre-screen your restaurants and call them ahead of time and ask. People will want to be helpful especially since food allergies are so pervasive.
Eat 100% whole foods, meaning, as little from a can as humanly possible. Hey, I know we are busy peeps, I buy canned goods too! I love being active and super engaged in my life so sometimes, I need a lot of convenience. I mostly make my soups in the vitamix (hot of cold depending on the time of the year) from whole vegetables in less than 3 minutes. See my latest creation here!
I make great use of my crock pot and just leave meats or beans over night ready to go for the next day. Though I love to cook, I don’t spend all day in the kitchen at all. I do very simple and very quick meals and I prep in large quantities so there are left overs ready to go.
Want to skip the soy sauce? You can use Bragg’s Aminos instead of conventional soy sauce.
Protein/Meats: Buy and season them yourself with spices you know and trust.
Dairy products: Try and find a supermarket that sells raw or unpasteurized dairy. There is enough industry now that consuming these products is safe because of their small production and attention to detail.
If I do consume dairy on a special occasion I will consume raw cheese which is much easier to digest because it has the enzymes intact and nothing else added. I have never had a side effect or any problems eating raw dairy. I don’t normally have it because I really enjoy the way I feel without it.
_

Return to Food and Health