It is currently Jun 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Gazpacho recipe requests

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

Gazpacho recipe requests

Postby equidancers » Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Pretty sure that sums it up. I love love love gazpacho, but I have never made it myself. And it is a financial commitment of sorts. Plus I need to drop a few pounds and I can stuff myself on it without any guilt. Lots of nutrients. Also. DELICIOUS.

Anyone have any good gazpacho recipes or general tips? I would very much appreciate any advice.
equidancers

Re: Gazpacho recipe requests

Postby _ » Jul 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Never been much of a soup person myself but very glad to see a post in the food section. I'm getting back into my healthy mindset these days. I'm going with mainly bananas and leafy greens most days for plant foods. I fell off the once a week grass fed liver routine I had a couple months ago. I don't eat much meat so that's an integral part of having a well balanced diet for me because I refuse to take supplements. I guess I've talked about that particular offal quite a bit on here and sorry for the repetition but just wanted to state my future goal. Also, sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent there. I hope others have some gazpacho ideas!! :)
_

Postby in.exile » Jul 21, 2014 9:43 pm

i don't have a recipe of my own, but i tend to like the recipes i find at AllRecipes.com. the site has a handy function where you can change the amount of servings you want to make and it automatically converts the ingredients to adapt. here's a random recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-n-easy-gazpacho/
in.exile

Postby equidancers » Jul 22, 2014 6:04 am

Thank you! :) I will post an update.. :)

gerald, I am always happy to talk food and nutrition. I have been a bit off my game lately, but I am making a hard push to get back on track as well. :)
equidancers

Postby Inel » Jul 22, 2014 7:46 am

yes, i'm also happy to see recipe requests happening and food getting some thought.
i've gotten a lot out of our food conversations here over time.

i'm more of an idea person than a strict recipe type.
for gazpacho, i'd go with what's fresh and accessible, and this time of year lots is.
don't forget some herbage, like basil or dill. i also would recommend pureeing half of it and adding half chunkier bits (i do this with most things because texture is important to me). also beware of bitter peppers, go with red/yellow for sweeter, as green bell peppers can make the batch bitter.

i recently made a watermelon cucumber dill cold soup that was pretty awesome!

let us know how it goes. yum!
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Postby equidancers » Jul 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Ah! I have fresh basil on the porch and I forgot to add it. A mistake I can easily remedy.. :) It is in the refrigerator. I'll dig in tomorrow.

Basically I blended a lot of roma tomatoes, 3 bell peppers (green, red and yellow- already done before reading the previous post), a cucumber, shallots, sweet onion- the bulb kind, garlic, celery, olive oil, vinegar, salt. It is already pretty tasty. But I should have remembered all the fresh herb options.

Luckily there is always a chance for another big pot of gazpacho!!

I agree, Inel. I love the recipe and food sharing threads. Helps me to eat when eating is difficult and to eat healthy when I feel like gorging on processed, fried junk. :)
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

First batch- waaaay too much garlic. I ate it, well most of it.

I have made a second batch to work my way through the first 3 days or so of this week. Nice to know I don't have to come home and cook.

We'll see how this batch goes.
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Second batch- I think I opted a little too cheap on the tomatoes. They are not very flavorful. And now that I used less garlic I think I used too much cucumber. Actually I used a little too little garlic.

For my next batch (next week) I am going to try one of these: Plus, I like Mark Bittman's various (recipes, policy and otherwise) food contributions.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... nyt-region
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh my gosh I am so excited about these recipes! :) This will be such fun. What an unexpected treat in my life. :)
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

This is the best thing that has happened in a long time. I wonder what I will try first. It will be difficult to choose..
equidancers

Postby equidancers » Aug 03, 2014 4:26 pm

I had big gazpacho plans. Everything ready for two batches- zucchini and herb and classic. From the Mark Bittman recipes in the above link. I blew up the blender. It started smoking. So now I have a partially made batch of zucchini gazpacho in the refrigerator with not enough of the ingredients to eat and a large bowl of cut up tomatoes, pepper and cucumber ready for the other batch.

So much for saving money. I think a new (better) blender would be a wise investment, but I will have to be even more careful with the finances if I splurge on such an item. And I don't think I should re-purchase the cheapest possible blender from Walmart. I am wondering about the best overlap of price and quality. Because I need it to last.

This is an important decision because it is a lot of money in my budget. So I am going to do a little online consumer research. Of course if anyone has any blender advice I would very much like to hear it. Even if it comes in the form of- don't buy ____.

I will not be defeated! Onward, gazpacho, onward!
equidancers

Postby _ » Aug 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah definitely have to be careful with what kind of things you put in a standard blender. Maybe just googling that sort of thing could be helpful when in doubt. Of course if someone can afford a blendtec or vitamix you don't really have anything to worry about. I'm not sure if your problem was ingredient related though. I kind of wish standard blenders could do carrots. That would be nice :). ....... Just a random thought that popped into my head: perhaps some spirulina would go well with gazpacho, IDK. Very nutritious though. Being confident about the source of it is important so i've heard. Sometimes there are toxic elements or something I suppose. Anyway, hope you find a good quality one!! (perhaps, taking a look through some amazon reviews could be helpful)
_

Postby equidancers » Aug 04, 2014 8:16 pm

I did some consumer research and came up with the Ninja master as the best option from an economical and quality balance. It is a fabulous product. I mean really great. Of course the true test will be longevity. So fingers crossed. But so far so good.

Speaking of which- the zucchini gazpacho is a huge hit. Zucchini is really cheap right now and I have fresh basil and mint on my porch. I used cheap, stale bread (two pieces since they called for one large.) And I don't have pine nuts, but I do like them and I am sure it would be tasty.

Zucchini and Herb

Sauté 2½ pounds chopped zucchini in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until tender, 15 to 20 minutes; let cool. Combine with 1 thick bread slice; ¼ cup each basil, parsley and mint; 2 tablespoons olive oil; 3 tablespoons lemon juice; 1 cup water; salt and pepper. Garnish: Toasted pine nuts.

The classic gazpacho is settling itself in the refrigerator. I'll have it for supper tomorrow night and give an update. Tomatoes are amazingly cheap right now.
equidancers

Postby Dan2013 » Aug 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Sounds delicious. Wish I had the gumption to cook more. I might look for some Gazpacho this week because of this Thread. I think there is a Deli Downtown that serves Gazpacho in the Summer. Thanks for posting. Enjoy!
Dan2013

Return to Food and Health