It is currently Jun 25, 2019 8:16 pm

a beans don't

Many of us have found that food plays a large part in our physical and mental health. Some of us struggle with our relationship with food. What are you eating (or not eating) these days?

a beans don't

Postby equidancers » Nov 25, 2015 3:41 am

Apparently, as I have just discovered from a very cursory internet search following almost 8 hours in the crock pot (and about 3 hours past my bedtime), if salt is added to beans before they are soft they will remain hard indefinitely.

: /

Possibly the bean/salt incompatibility is common knowledge. ? Two giant tupperware containers of crispy-ish (al dente would be too nice a description) black beans are sitting the frig. From what I read online it appears there is little chance they are ever going to cook. Might as well toss them. So wasteful. Not just of food, but of time.

So don't do it: Don't add salt or acid to beans before they are soft.

Now we know. Or maybe most people already knew. Now, I know.
equidancers

Re: a beans don't

Postby lonederanger » Nov 25, 2015 8:42 am

the frustration!

i never knew! thanks
lonederanger

Postby in.exile » Nov 25, 2015 10:23 am

from what i understand it's ok to salt the water when soaking beans, but adding other ingredients early will affect the softening (like sugars and acids from a bbq sauce).

https://captious.wordpress.com/2006/05/ ... ean-myths/

Salt does slow the softening of dried beans, but adding it early also gets salt into the bean interior, while adding late leaves most of the salt on or near the surface. If you’re thinking ahead early enough to presoak the beans, salt in the presoaking water actually speeds the cooking, in addition to salting the beans evenly.”

i hope the beans can be saved!
in.exile

Postby lonederanger » Nov 25, 2015 10:32 am

in.exile wrote:
i hope the beans can be saved!

i was gonna suggest soaking them, maybe even if they're salted at the wrong stage, re-soaking in fresh water once or twice could undo that?
lonederanger

Postby equidancers » Nov 25, 2015 11:08 am

Hmm. Yes, after some sleep I think a saving-attempt is the best course of action..

I don't think I'll re-soak them (I did not soak them overnight which may be part of the problem. I just rinsed and put in the crock pot.) I salted early because I like the salt flavor. I'd forgotten salt can be added in the soaking. Thank you for the reminder. I wonder how adding salt during the early stages of the cooking process differs in a bean/salt fundamental way. Ah, the questions of our world.. :)

Anyway, the reason I am going to attempt more cooking without a re-soaking is because of the delicious juices they were cooked in. I added lots of onion, garlic, a bay leaf, cayenne, cumin and two dried peppers. The apartment smells delicious.

Yes. Thank you for the encouragement. I will not give up Onward! Onward to the bean fight!!

:-)
Last edited by equidancers on Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
equidancers

Postby lonederanger » Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am

sounds yummy. from what I've read about cooking raw beans the gist i got was "royal pain"

god save the beans!
lonederanger

Postby equidancers » Nov 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Well I cooked them through yesterday evening. D ended up coming over and so I just put them in the refrigerator and have yet to taste the final result.

So we'll see. :)

naomi, I saw a post somewhere yesterday about the possible effects of this particular 30 + hour pot of beans. I'll update on that as well. ;)
equidancers

Postby naomibardo » Nov 27, 2015 1:35 pm

who would have thought beans could elicit so many comments!!
I have a severe suspicion that those beans are going to cause excessive flatulence,yes an update would be good.make sure you are not going to be in court or anything like that,just in case.
naomibardo

Postby equidancers » Nov 27, 2015 1:46 pm

:-)!

I'll make sure to test them out when only the kitties are around. ;)
equidancers

Postby naomibardo » Nov 27, 2015 1:48 pm

poor kitties:)
naomibardo

Postby lonederanger » Nov 28, 2015 11:50 pm

30+ hours??

no wonder canned beans are so " in style" hehe

jeez i remember once making a soup with uncooked beans

worst idea ever….
lonederanger

Postby lonederanger » Nov 28, 2015 11:52 pm

well, if I'm being really real, I've had much worse ideas…

but as far as beans are concerned, that was probably the worst : )

i can't believe it, 30+ hours and they still could have been softer???

remind me to never cook raw beans
lonederanger

Postby equidancers » Nov 29, 2015 12:33 am

I had some for supper and they are, yes it is hard to believe, soft! :) And quite tasty. Not yet sure whether there are any gastrointestinal effects. :)

My jasmine rice method needs improvement. Let's just say it is a work in progress. :)

I will soak beans overnight from now on. And leave out the salt during the early stages of cooking.

I just got past the point of no return with these beans. Well beyond the point of absurdity, that is. :)

Still. A success! If delayed and somewhat dubious. :)
equidancers

Return to Food and Health