It is currently Dec 15, 2018 1:55 pm

I can't deal with my art advisor anymore, hence the college

Share your story and/or reflections on college mental health: experiences, services, trends, concerns, myths, and more.

I can't deal with my art advisor anymore, hence the college

Postby Raining Frog » Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

The art advisor actually said to me today in her appointment with me in a small room, that I am very different from the others because of my "disability". This is what I had to believe.

I said well maybe I had it harder partially due to my complex ptsd and untreated attention deficit issues, and she said "I'm sure that's just the beginning of it".

I hate it.

It's all immensely condecending. Having trouble with the finances and social situations alone.

I just told her I wasn't a big fan of the us. vs. them kind of philosophy and that I didn't believe in the concept of mental illness. She just questioned me and then hautily laughed at me.

Horrible. It shattered my opinion in general regarding a shaky opinion of my school, during 8 years of the tech college I never was once treated like that by advisors.

I felt like I was transported back into the small room in the psych ward with a lawyer trying to make decisions on how the rest of my life would play out, my personhood again erased. I had no say, I was sucking up to this bitch. If I thought I could get away with it too, I would have walked right out, I should have walked right out.

Pointless appointment.

Laughed at for everything.
It's once again the "normal" vs. the "disabled" "mentally ill" or whatever degrading flavor-of-the-day term they will use against the ones who don't want to play by the system. In the end I lose.

Who is she to make those comments? The last email correspondence with her was unprofessional and included many emoticons and sarcasm. I just don't care any more about that hoity-toity false promise shit.
I realize difficulty. I just don't care about an expensive and false degree, I want my freedom back for whatever I can get.

And now I am doing what I think she probably wants and dropping out, but not for the reasons she wants.

No crazies belong in that elitist university I guess, that's what they want, it's crap, I don't want them anymore
Raining Frog

Re: I can't deal with my art advisor anymore, hence the coll

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Awe Raining Frog, I can't believe this happened/is happening to you and that advisor treated you that way! It's just so, ugh, yuck!

If you really do leave, I hope you tell someone (hopefully important) exactly why, like you were writing here. Or maybe it isn't worth it and you should just move on. Just some thoughts...I guess I just wanted to say sorry you were treated this way. Stupid academic games BS. And it's like this in the work place too.
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby Anzu » Apr 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Can you speak to the head of your department about her? I was able to do this when I had a problem with 2 different professors at my university. (This was MANY years ago.) Luckily he was very kind and understanding and took care of the problems - and it was also his job to help students having problems with their professors or advisors. You could also forward him any unprofessional emails as evidence of what you are dealing with. I don't want to upset you further by asking questions, but it seems really weird that an appointment with your academic advisor would lead to those sort of statements. What in the world was the purpose of the appointment? If it was to discuss your academic issues, she shouldn't have strayed so far off topic, and if it was to counsel you about problems, she really shouldn't have been such an enormous hateful jerk!
Anzu

Postby Raining Frog » Apr 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey Anzu...
She's not actually one of my professors, who have in my luck been mostly ok.

Unfortunately she IS the head of the art department...
and appears to have cancelled out what the professors and disability resource people suggested in favor of her judgement...

I'm fed up...

Hey LilMissMoonshine...

My watercolor professor and I were talking about writing a letter to her today, about her invalidation of my talents and how I felt otherwise.
I am either going to write alone but the professor said she'd support me, I have an A going in her class,
it's the head of the art department's attitude and inflexibility that was the last straw,
just because I have an F in the other class, I tried to be reasonable and talk it out but she doesn't want to, would appear to prefer to play the "mental illness" card on me, I have had problems with her before but not like this
Raining Frog

Postby Raining Frog » Apr 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Forgot to address another question for Anzu:

The purpose of my appointment was originally going to be to schedule classes for next semester.
I had a couple of other questions that I ended up asking her.

Basically what happened was I was in communication with one of my professors (art history class) and the disability resource center from the beginning of the semester. The first art history class I had like this was extremely difficult last semester but I managed to pass.

This one I had more issues during the semester and started to fail. I didn't realize that I was going to fail the class until after the scheduled drop date, but I had talked to my professor and he was going to let me drop it, he told me to talk to the head of the art department.

She basically then said to me that the professor was wrong and she couldn't drop a class, lectured me and pretty much ordered me to go to the dean of students and that she was not in charge of this, there is no guarantee that the dean would drop the class under any circumstances and then got into the whole condescending line,

it came out of nowhere "you are not like other people". And when I argued with her it got uglier,

I can't spend my money on this... I'm done
Raining Frog

Postby Raining Frog » May 01, 2012 12:13 am

Why is it that so many people with "mental illness" have trouble playing by the rules of school and work?

Me thinks we just question the rules of society and that's what the other is all about.

I've also met people with the "illness" that fit just fine into it. And people who are fucked up as hell without the "illness"

Labels of "illness" are a joke, I just don't want these rules, not everyone's going to fit perfectly into the box of how you think they should be, and some won't fit at all, we are outsiders

Outsiders...appear to get the blunt end for their self imposed freedom

I wish I lived on another planet.
Raining Frog

Postby chorn » May 01, 2012 11:54 am

Elitists can make you sick-mentally and physically. I know. I grew up in down south. I have PTSD from elitism.

My friends and relatives have always had to go around "the establishment" to get what they have wanted. Knowing where to move to is the key. Art schools that are free of socially constructed b.s. are probably the best. Travelling overseas, or to New York and other open minded areas is a great idea. Financial stability and/or survival techniques is also another way to stay away from the establishment.

Finding another college with diversity and a free outlook might be good. Building your own life on your own terms is difficult but important. From the person who lives out in the country with their own organic bathroom to the anarchist who goes and starts an important political movement, to the bi who indulges in dance contests supporting Gay Rights Movement, it is important to keep trying to find your own niche and to not give up.
Last edited by chorn on May 01, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

If I rot, I want to rot well and enjoy the small bits of life that are pleasant.

a soft denial covers the brazen underpinning of their coarse speech and ignorant ways.......]
chorn

Postby chorn » May 01, 2012 12:08 pm

So, in sum:

1. Independence/Autonomy and high functioning knowledge of cooking skills, carpentry, mechanical, vehicle care and survival skills is very impotant.
2. Knowledge of every policy relating to you in your life.....the University, the legal system, traffic, the Constitution....knowledge and being able to state said policies firmly to others is best.
3. Big cities that support your life view, your particular art form genre and your folkways and mores is best. Travel is also great.
4. Financial literacy is huge.
5. Staying with around others who are similar to you is paramount.
6. Extreme assertiveness skills-Being implacably polite but getting iron-fisted when needed (as connected to policy and law knowledge) is important.
7. Knowing yourself and what you want.
8. Resisting every single lie they told you when you are little and now and going against the lie-this is difficult, but it can be done.

I've seen this over and over.

You know, and generally speaking, when you no longer believe the lies they tell and you go with your heart, your relationsips improve, your life partner choices improve, your destiny gets better and clearer and you come out successful.

Both the in-laws and the blood family have a 90% rate of what society calls "mental illness" but I can tell you, we would rather be mad because of what we see in the general population.
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

If I rot, I want to rot well and enjoy the small bits of life that are pleasant.

a soft denial covers the brazen underpinning of their coarse speech and ignorant ways.......]
chorn

Postby Raining Frog » May 02, 2012 1:59 am

Thank you, Chorn!

Hmm. How best to address this?

I'm 30 now and feel like it's a race against time. Spent nearly 8 years slowly obtaining a liberal arts degree to transfer to the university while doing other things at the same time (working, video games, art, listening to music, being crazy and often suicidal, really not always enough)

Letting parents control me to stay in this area. Taking on the role of the sick that they all enforce on me, even know I never truly believe it. Then I get to the university and the Elitism seems at this point all a huge lie. I got there fresh out of spending some time at Occupy Madison. Then I went to the TEA party. Either way I will surely make enemies and associates.

My friends that I do have are too tight, which is a pro and con, it's another thing that can keep me in this area, one of that I feel displaced.

I see homeless on the street constantly and am surrounded by privileged classmates who follow a specific formula, I don't feel like I am like them in a lot of ways, I feel alienated and am the older student with a C- average in high school who couldn't get in.

Never knew how to get grades quite right, my GPA is boosted to about a 3.2 (AB) at this point but I am shocked with the requirements of the classes here.
I do the art classes, the professors for those really like me, I get As but I bomb the art history classes. I can't stand the work.

I don't even know what I've been doing. I'm happy doing a different kind of work as long as I can still do my art.
Feel like the special art colleges are far beyond what I can afford, and don't know for sure I could get in, but maybe I am wrong.

So considering an alternate route maybe. Cooking maybe. But all my restaurant jobs I have been fired from.
I have an idea. Eventually I hope it can lead to owning a vegan restaurant in Florida. But that's never guaranteed, far off, and it could take a completely different direction.

Let me see...I am going to attempt to analyze this.

1. Independence. Working on it. Lived alone for the past 3 years. Don't drive, ok with the other stuff basically I guess.
2. Now that one is a little rough. lol. Knowledge, yes. If am to be questioned for my intelligence, they usually will attach gender onto it too, and I don't give a fuck what "those people" think
3. Have a few cities in mind.
4. Financial literacy? That's a tough one. Working on it.
5. That's generally a good idea. My problem is the pesky and pushy folks who have nothing in common, demanding to take a part in my life. They suck.
6. My social skills are off the charts horrible.
7. At the core, I know myself, my interests, and what I might want and have a very strong view of it. But the problem is it always changes. I am a chameleon type of person
8. Resisting the lies requires being able to identify a lie to begin with. If you don't initially realize it's a lie, this will likely be a problem in the future.

I would rather be mad than what I see in the general population. My "sane" classmates at UW are are a sign of that. They seem like overprivileged false revolutionaries, always going for some different variation on the same thing. I don't think I want to work with them any longer, or their prerequisites for social networking.
Raining Frog

Postby Raining Frog » May 02, 2012 2:11 am

Thinking about things more,
furthermore the women of talk radio inspire me- they can be and often are creative, independent, hard-working, frequently not elitist, know adversity, passionate, opinionated, and are able to work well with others for a living.

I propose a shout out to all the kick-ass women of talk radio regardless of political orientation and reasoning.

Three cheers for talk radio!
Raining Frog

Postby chorn » May 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Ohhhh talk radio! Public Radio!!

Broadcasting????

chorn

Postby Raining Frog » May 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Talk radio, public radio or broadcasting (I suppose there would be the more independently owned stations and radical, but also the more mainstream, corporate ones).

I don't think I'll ever get into it personally, but I had a couple of ex-gfs for a short time that knew a thing or two about talk radio, working in radio and how to break into the radio business.

What I like about it these days is that with the internet radio stations abound now, talk radio is expanding.
I have a few shows I really like when I can find the time to listen.

Also there is this website that greatly interests me. I haven't had a chance to really check it out too much yet, or the shows that they broadcast.

It's called "Free Talk Live- talk radio you control"
Raining Frog

Return to Mad Campuses